1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washed out Video

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by MarkWill, Feb 12, 2004.

1. MarkWill

MarkWill Member

I just created my first test DVD using adobe 6.5, mainconcept 1.3 encoded at CBR 8000kbs, highest quality setting, DvditLE and new Pioneer A106D external burner. Everything looks good on playback from the timeline on the computer screen and NTSC monitor. However, although the DVD plays fine which I am gratefull for on my first attempt, the video is very washed out when played on my home dvd player and TV on which ommercial DVD's look great. Can anyone help?

Regards,

Mark

2. maxkd

maxkd Guest

Hi mark is the colour ok? does it have a green or red tinge on the pic or black borders?if so you have the same prob as me,now im playing ntsc on uk pal tvs and it has a green tinge/haze i believe the problem is that the tv doesnt quite recognise the slightly different colour encoding thats in ntsc if you try it on another tv it may be perfect!also changing the output leads may help ie are you just using a scart lead?using a lead with r/y/b outputs may help if your system supports this! or buy a converter,these are things i intend to try to cure my problem at least untill i find an expert who can help me! let me know if you find a cure or if anything i said helps!

maxkd

3. MarkWill

MarkWill Member

Thanks Maxkd,

I think I discovered the problem. Since I have an NTSC preview monitor connected to my NLE system and everything looks fine on playback, I played back a set of color bars on the big living room TV via DVD player and s-video connection, adjusted video levels per instructions at www.videouniversity.com and noted much improvement. Appearantly this TV has always been way off and I never knew it. But there may be another explanation which has to do with the IRE level which on my NLE is set to "0" but also has a setting for IRE "7.5". I may experiment with this also.

Best Regards,
    Mark Williams