1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

watching .avi on a TV screen

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by kyo28, Mar 12, 2007.

1. kyo28

kyo28 Member

I have various .avi's that I would like to watch on my TV-screen instead of always sitting behind the computer. However, I need help on finding the best solution to achieve this. These avi's are encoded with divx, xvid, wmv3 and wmv9. Some things I thought of:

1. connect my laptop to the TV, but then I would need to boot up the laptop every time I want to watch an avi on TV.
    2. turn my desktop into a media-PC, but the desktop is pretty far from the TV set
    3. buy a HDD mediaplayer, such as this one:
    Tvix M-5000

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Hi kyo28 (from one junior member to another)

I think you might find better luck in the DVD Authoring section...or AVI to DVD.

Speaking of luck, I wish you the best of it!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  3. kyo28

kyo28 Member

Thanks for your reply. However, I don't want to spend the money and time to convert all my media files to DVD, so I'm afraid that's not an option I'm willing to take.
    Any other suggestions perhaps?

4. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

I think you have the easiest, cheapest option already: the laptop, which I'm assuming plays back everything just like your desktop and because it's mobile, you can move it around.

And with that option, no additional purchase of hardware or software is required. No new things to learn.

If your laptop takes ages to boot, why not just leave it on standby? Not really knowing your laptop, my guess is that in Standby mode it probably consumes the same energy as a couple of light bulbs. That may sound like a lot, but remember, you can power a light bulb with a potato.

Now if only you could do the same with the laptop...

..anyway.

5. kyo28

kyo28 Member

Thanks for the reply. Another interesting suggestion someone made was to turn my desktop (which is quasi always turned on) into a media center PC and to use a Media Center extender to wirelessly send and receive signals.