1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching HD material from a memory stick from a TV

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Kyrsimys, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Kyrsimys

Kyrsimys Member

Sorry for the possibly confusing topic. I recently bought a new FULL HD TV, an LG37LH7000, which has an USB port. I can watch most of the stuff I've tried just fine from my memory stick, but there are some exceptions. I can watch 720p x264 material just fine, but for some reason when I try watching 1080p x264 material the TV just says "invalid file" and reports the resolution as 0x0. I can't find information about this anywhere, does anyone here have any experience with this kind of stuff? There really isn't anything else different in the movie files I've tried except for the resolution. They use the same video and audio codecs. The only differences are in the bitrate and resolution.

2. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I think you mean the LG37LH70 not LG37LH7000. I did some searching and it seems that it will only play 1080p content from an HDMI, and only lower resolutions through USB 2.0. The product website isn't that helpful either (http://www.lge.com/ca_en/tv-audio-video/tv/LG-lcd-tv-37LH70.jsp)

3. Kyrsimys

Kyrsimys Member

Thanks for your reply, I didn't think anyone was going to bother :) The TV is a 37LH7000 though (http://www.televisions.com/lcd_tv/LG_Electronics/LG_37_LH_7000.php) and not a 37LH70. I didn't even know such a series (LH70) existed, maybe it's a regional difference?

But anyway, that's very interesting what you're saying, it's really weird though. Do you have any idea as to why that is? I still can't find any information about it just by googling. If you're right about that, it kinda stinks that they're advertising that "you can watch online videos in glorious high definition". Yeah, HD but not FULL HD.

Now that I look more closely, the LG website linked above says:

1080P Source Input
    HDMI 60p/50p/30p/24p Component 60p/50p

Do you think that basically means what you're saying? I'm not familiar with the terminology (1080p source input?).

4. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

1080p source input basically mean what it says, an Full-HD (1080p) source, such as a blu-ray player conected to your TV through an HDMI cable. You can only get 1080i through component, and 480p through composite.

I'm not entierely positive that it won't play full HD through USB 2.0, I'll keep checking though.

It seems that it will only play DivX videos through USB 2.0, but from my understanding, DivX is cable of compressing to 1920×1080 30p, but it probably is the USB input on the LGTV that only allows you to playback 1280×720 (720p) content.

A firmware update could fix this, but I can't seem to find one for this TV.

5. Kyrsimys

Kyrsimys Member

The USB 2.0 isn't limited to just DivX though, it can also play XviD, mpeg-1, mpeg-2, mpeg-4 and H.264 (they just keep advertising mainly DivX because most people seem to think that DivX is a synonym for any downloaded material). So that shouldn't be the problem.

One thought that came into my mind is whether USB 2.0 is capable of the massive throughput (bandwidth) 1080p material requires. I wonder if there's any way to test this..

6. Enuf

Enuf Member

Hi, sorry, I'm jumping in here with a similar problem. Just got a LG 42PQ6000 tv that has USB input and lists the movies on the TV for you to select. Havent yet got the Sky HD box, but Hubby (whose christmas present it is) wanted to compare normal DVD with HD DVD. I have two copies of the same film on my PC, one is an AVI DVD movie the other is a H264 HD copy. I put both movies onto a memory stick, put it in the TV and the TV can only recognise the DVD movie not the HD DVD movie. I've checked and the movie is MPEG 4 - so, what is the problem? What is the point of an HD TV is it will not play HD movie content through the USB port?

7. Bustor

Bustor Guest

Same issues which some cellphone models had in their inception stages. These things are constantly evolving and their features have not 'matured' as yet.
    One might get attracted to the features and the marketing terminology but what matters is the real performance. If this is not there then where was the need to go for this product?
    You could take them to a legal hearing if they claim something on their product packing but the product is simply not compatible.
    This is similar to buying a cellphone which does not have SMS feature in it ! Funny but this seems to be the case where the software is simply not developed enough :)