1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching TV on Home Theater Projectors

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DPUMA8, Aug 21, 2006.

1. DPUMA8

DPUMA8 Regular member

Hello! I was thinking about getting a 60 inch 1080p TV but I plan on moving a year from now and trying to move a 120 pound TV seems like too much of a hassle for me.
    So I have been looking around and I see that there are projectors so I was thinking that there would be much easier to move around. But the thing I am wondering about is whether or not I can plug in my DirecTV into it and watch TV. Can I plug in my PS2 as well?

Or is it called a 'Home Theater Projector' because it only really can play movies?

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

All current projectors should have an S-video or even component inputs where you can connect a DirectTV box or even a game console. If you are projecting to a blank wall then nothing beats a projector for portability. Otherwise plan for a drop down or motorized screen.

3. DPUMA8

DPUMA8 Regular member

Wow. So it do anything that a TV can do. So why are traditional TVs so popular? Why aren't these catching on? What are the downfalls of projectors?

If I do plug in DirecTV, does this mean I have to have a wire going to the ceiling? Or is there a box that I plug all my electronics into like TV, PS2, audio system that will then transmit everything to the projector?

Thanks a lot for your help!

4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Sounds like you may need to consult a professional installer. Projectors and screens need to be properly set up and you have to deal with ceiling mount placement, throw distance, screen size etc. Some projector models have lens shift which allow for more flexible placement. But to answer your question - if you are thinking of a ceiling mount then yes you have to pass the video cable through the ceiling depending on where your DirecTV box and game console is located. The audio from the DirecTV box is then connected to your audio system/receiver and not to your projector.

5. que1911

que1911 Member

yo all you have to do is get you a good reciever and run every thing into that and use the monitor out on the reciever out to your projector. if you are using a hd box or cable (hooked up to a vcr)also run that into your reciever.. now what cables did you run to your projector? hopefuly you ran at least a componet and an S video.. hit me back and i can walk you through the rest..
    I have an xbox 360 playstaion2 hd cable and an game cube hooked to my projector and still have room for a computer.. the secret is a realy good audio/video reciever

6. soldsold

soldsold Member

Err you should also be aware that projector bulbs only last 2000 to 3000 hours vs 60,000 or so for a good plasma, they dont like being turned on and off a lot either as its hard on the bulb. And if someone unplugs the projector without shutting down properly the bulb wears quicker.

So best bet is use projector for movies onto a white or cream coloured wall and stick with plasma or lcd for tv.

Best projectors within 850-1000 STG are considered to be the panasonic ae900, hitachi pj tx200, sanyo z4 or for a little more sony hs60

But new versions of all these due this month or next month. ae1000e, pj tx300, sanyo z5 I believe.

Be aware also that there are two types - dlp and lcd. Many people see "rainbows" or ghostly streaks following fast movement on dlp's and lcd's dont have this issue. But rainbows dont affect most peolpe. I believe all the above are lcd's.

Steve