1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water damaged iPod Touch button mixup

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by core2kid, May 12, 2010.

1. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I bought a water damaged 8GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch that wasn't restoring/turning on or charging. After replacing the battery, I got it to turn on, charge and work. The only problem I face now is that the top Power button and the Volume Up buttons are do the same thing. When I hit the power button, I get the volume icon for a second and then the screen goes off. When I hold the volume up button to raise the volume, the volume raises until I am holding it but as soon as I let go, the screen goes off too. Is this a problem with the circuit board, firmware or is it something that can be fixed with rubbing alcohol?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try alcohol

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Where should I focus?

4. ddp

contacts on the buttons & if touching the circuit board. might try doing that on main circuit board too then use blow dryer to get rid of any moisture. ipod has to be taken apart to do that.

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

It's already apart. I'll try that. It can't be permanent damage can it?

6. ddp

no as long as completely dried before turning on power. used alcohol on circuit boards when i worked at celestica in late 90's early 2000's.

7. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I'll give it a try but I have no idea if it was turned on before it completely dried, I bought it on ebay.

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I cleaned the circuit board but that didn't do anything. I looked at it closer and the Volume and Power button are on a separate circuit so that part can just be replaced. Before I replace it, should I soak it in alcohol and let it dry? That part itself is $15 and I still need a Home Button and Digitizer with that plastic thing. All together, it'll probably be a $65 iPod touch after all the repairs. Is that good for an 8GB 2nd Gen or should I just sell it?

9. ddp

can try soaking it in the alcohol but keep stirring it around to get rid of any particales. price wise i don't know as i don't have an ipod or mp3 player nor do i presently want 1.

10. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Ok, I got the new part but it's still doing the same thing. What else could the problem be?