1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

watermark

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Alien13, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Hi

I was wondering what is a watermark if anyone knows could you let me know?

2. J_man

J_man Regular member

A watermark is in official inprint in bedded in the printing as to guarentee its original and authentic.
    I would not recommend attempting to duplicate them as that is definetly piracy and fruad.

3. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

i was wondering because on some demo burning programs it says it will leave a watermark thats why.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

A 'watermark" is a "tell-tale" which says that the disk is a copy. Sometimes it is just that and other times it also links the individual, like you, if you purchased the program you used to make the copy, to the copied DVD. Of course just looking at most discs one can tell it's not an original.

As to what can you do about it ? The answer is nothing – If someone sees a disc you copied they'll know it was you.

There should be nothing wrong in backing up your own DVD's BUT if you make copies and sell them, you can be caught. The fine is $250,000.00 AND 5 years in jail per DVD, BUT that's the risk you take if you want to sell "Bootlegs" in the US.

Cheers,

5. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanx for the info ScubaPete and J_man.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@3_man,

I doubt that there is a program to copy whatever watermark you're refering too.

BTW, could you tell me where the watermark you're talking about can be found ?

7. J_man

J_man Regular member

Scubapete,

I thought he was refering to the watermark in bedded into the printing, like on official documents. These are put on when they go through the printing presses.

Did not relise he was refering to one of his programs placing the watermark in the Dvd.

So does Shrink or Decrypter place these on the Dvd's as well?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  8. billwebso

billwebso Guest

neither of these proggy's leave a water mark

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Heh, heh -

What billwebso said . . . .

Cheers,

I'm leaving my avatar here because the one earlier doesn't have a connecting link. (bad link, bad link, you get a whippin' when you get home. A really very bad link . . . )

Use the links here for my guides -

Pete

10. Prelude22

Prelude22 Regular member

"neither of these proggy's leave a water mark "

Is there a way to check this? So if you use DVDDec and Shrink nobody would know who made the copy. What about IMGburn and DVDFab Decrypter? Thanks. I'm just curious.

11. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

im pretty sure most freeware programs dont leave a watermark while some limited demos of shareware do. since shrink and decryptor are freeware, they don't leave a watermark

12. Prelude22

Prelude22 Regular member

Thanks. I guess my question was if you burn a backup a DVD, could they trace that backup to you? I've heard of music bought from online stores
    having a watermark that could be traced to the original buyer. Not sure if this is the case with DVDs as well. Just curious.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Heh, Heh, somebody has been "pullin'" your chain.

The only proggy that came close to that was DVDXCopy (back in the day) _ it left a traceable serial number on any backup it made.

Relax my friend and go in peace, the big bad wolf has no teeth :)