1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wav Cue File Splitting

Discussion in 'Audio' started by hakaw, Feb 13, 2016.

1. hakaw

hakaw Newbie

Can you provide me with workable cue file splitting tool to split it into individual wav files? Most Cue File splitting tool works well with APE and FLAC and not with wav cue file.
    Thanks for the assistance and if with illustrative demonstration on the working steps would be much preferable if feasible !

2. Admiral_Smith

Admiral_Smith Newbie

you can use ffmpeg to clip the .wav file
    there are two switches that I know of that will help out
    -t and -ss
    -t is clip to and -ss is start from

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I have used this for over a decade with good results. I don't know any reason why you would use something else.
    You need the cue file for this to work.

http://www.medieval.it/cuesplitter-pc/menu-id-71.html

Take care this is not just pushing buttons. Keep your source files! I think I remember big trouble splitting ape or maybe a flac files. That worked fine and everything was perfect. When I converted the ape files to mp3s they were pure garbage. They were not music any more. Having the source files I converted the source to mp3 then split that and there were no surprises. Just keep in mind what you are doing may have serious consequences.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

you don't "split" a cue file.. you edit it in a plain text editor .. I guess the actual question is "how do I split/crop/append audio files" .. simple.. avidemux or similar.. as a cue file is simply a plain text file which directs another program to the locations of the audio files..

5. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes, I foolishly assumed every one knows how to use them. It is 'obvious ' when you read the file.

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

ofttimes (what a great word that is) the fault in a cue file is caused by whatever ripping program using an "absolute" full path rather than delimiting it to be directory relative with the use of // to direct the player/burning proggy or whatever to files only in that directory.. I know we all sat scratching our heads at some point or other when a burning program reported "files not found" when trying to make a disk from a cue file.. and then.. ahhh.. the days of notepad ;)

7. Mez

Mez Active member

In my case it had to do with the labels. Apparently the wrong type of label will screw up some players like my old car stereo. It had nothing to do with the audio frames. You fix the labels the music plays fine. The easier method is to re do the process in the right order. The type of label differed depending on the order of the process. One order resulted in the wrong type of tags. That took many hrs to research. Ape file -> dbpoweramp-> mp3 file -> split-> produced split files with the right type of tags. Ape file -> split -> dbpoweramp-> mp3 file had the wrong tags. The split apes sounded great (they were still lossless). Lossless is hard to screw up while mp3s are easy to screw up. Still Lame VBS at max preserves 99.9% of the fidelity as long as you start from lossless and don't screw up. This means you can go from VBR to lossless and back several times without loss. This is because mp3s lose highs but VBR 0 preserves 19,900 Hz. Persons over 21 have trouble hearing 18,000. HS students use mosquito tone rings so teachers can't hear the ring. Student teachers might be able to hear it. No adult is going to miss the 20,000 - 19,901 tones lost in the compression.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Hakaw, why wave files?????

They have a huge space bloat. Are yo like a friend of mine who only listens to waves? He falsely believes the mp3s cut out base notes. In 15 years he has never tried to test this. He assumes compression must remove the best parts of the music. He doesn't even trust lossless compression. I tell him he is a Luddite and he agrees with me. I tell him he ought to be listening to Walkman tapes.

9. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

wav files are used by pros during mastering from analog sources.. filtering and eq and balancing and editing are easier on the raws.. and then burn straight to cd at full quality.. with a good source and high end equipment (that includes ears) it's possible to make a cd from vinyl that sounds better than an early commercial cd print.. but it will be impossible to tell the difference from one produced in the last 10-15 years from the mater tapes.. that's why some of us still have a place for wave files in our armouries.. particularly for those of us lucky enough to have DAT machines.. which are above cd quality (though I defy you to tell the difference on a blind test)..

10. Mez

Mez Active member

I have never seen an audio editor that edits anything other than a wave. I also think there is a place for wave files but not to play on an mp3 player or cell phone. If you insist on listening to lossless listen to flac file.

Funny you mentioned vinyl. I don't clean my vinyl captures. Persons claiming to be able to tell the difference between vinyl and digital,can't tell even an mp3 HiFi vinyl capture from the real thing. I don't mind the hiss or the occasional pop. It brings me back to days past.

Digital is so much more convenient than vinyl. Vinyl is far more durable than I once thought. I kept hundreds of pounds of vinyl in my attic for friends. Some have taken them back. Most are still there. I captured all the albums. I had too many to do anything tricky. Now I believe any extra work would detract from the experence. I have all the tracks from CD rip.

11. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Yeah.. I haven't bothered doing all of mine either.. way too many.. start today and spend 12 hours a day.. see you in maybe 4 years :D

My work was professional standard for paying customers.. so the purpose was a fully mastered best quality possible.. often from completely deleted and unavailable 50's and 60's vinyl.. often showing the signs of the heavy blunt portable players of the day.. so obviously what sounded ok on a 1950's portable from the attic with low valves and bad caps.. compared to what the worn records sounded like on my top end hardware.. well indeed.. Filter everything off above 14k was a common one.. there was nothing left up there anyway.. if it had existed in the first place..

12. Mez

Mez Active member

The beauty is I can't hear much above 14KHz anyway probably I can't hear 14KHz. I was exposed to too much loud stuff in the 60s and 70s.