1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

way to use netbook and webcam as security system?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by gibbey531, Jun 19, 2012.

1. gibbey531

gibbey531 Member

I'm getting ready to leave for a weekend vacation this Friday, and I'm going to be hiring someone to come over and take care of the pets, get the mail, etc. One thing I was thinking about was doing a temporary security system of sorts. I have a netbook and a webcam ready at the moment, and I'm wondering if there is a way to use these two together and if there is a fairly easy to use/free software that can capture video (not high quality video, just standard or every 4th frame like some do). I have a fair amount of IT hardware/software and I just want to make sure my babies are safe.

If there is any other ways you guys know about feel free to recommend them!
    thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

both netbook webcam & external webcam software can probably be used for that. checking webcam software settings for video capture in motion detection mode.

3. alexferri1

alexferri1 Member

1AVMonitor is a great webcam monitoring program. You can view live video from anywhere, and it takes pictures when it detects motion, all time-stamped.