1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD Media Player and PC Speakers - insane speaker buzz

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by caiphn, Jan 5, 2012.

1. caiphn

caiphn Member

Hi there;

Just aquired an additional WD Media Player. Works great, no problems with it. I wanted to set it up with my monitor downstairs (I have a PC monitor with a DVI<->HDMI cable, so the video is playing just fine, no problems there)

However I have it plugged into some really old PC speakers with the big 12VDC transformer. It goes from composite on the speaker side to RCA 1/8" jack on the media player side. However, an awful buzz omits that makes it useless.

I have tried using multiple Composite <-> 1/8" jack cables, different 12VDC transformers with roughly the same amperage, I tried using different outlets in my home, and I also used a middle of the road power bar to plug everything into, thinking it might be a grounding issue, I have tried a composite to 1/8" jack cable that is supposed to remove ground loop, all of these things to no avail.

What else can I try? The whole thing here is I wanted something very small just so I could have some sound in my workout room, if anyone has any suggestions or insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

2. attar

attar Senior member

You know for sure that the noise isn't from the media player (by plugging the RCA outputs from the player into a TV).
    You fed the speakers from the headphone jack of a TV or Walkman and there is no noise.
    Beats me.

3. caiphn

caiphn Member

Yeah sorry, I should have stated that if I plug in headphones into it, works fine. Also, the speakers plugged into a PC works fine.