1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD TV HD Media Player (Western Digital)

Discussion in 'Media tanks' started by badmanvan, Dec 16, 2008.

1. badmanvan

badmanvan Member

Hi was wondering if anyone has purchased this and is it any good?

It states that it can play an array of files including "MKV" + "H.264", full 1080p HD support and is perfect for my WD 500Gb Passport drive..

I have the spec and downloaded a manual for more details but as usual the reviews on this product seem to be a bit scarce?

Any help would be great

2. dmealsr

dmealsr Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
  3. maxikaz

maxikaz Member

thanks for links

4. badmanvan

badmanvan Member

Great, cheers for the info and much appreciated.....

5. qfun_2001

qfun_2001 Member

Dear dmealsr,
    if you don't have a DTS receiver, do we have a way to work around? like use other audio software to convert audio into different format.
    please your input,
    Thx

6. elaine101

elaine101 Guest

thanks for sharing

7. DIGIXCESS

DIGIXCESS Member

For those using this system to play 'BluRay' files (H264 etc)...

I've got the Western Digital 1TB drive attached to it - but the problem is it wont accept files larger than the size of a normal dvd.

How do you get around this? is there a way? or do you have to split your files?

8. drewchips

drewchips Member

Yes. You have to reformat your drive. There are instructions on the WD website. Let me know if you need additional guidance.

9. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

I've got a WDTV media player but I don't have a surround sound system, so I use Popcorn MKV Audio Converter to convert the DTS audio to Dolby digital. It takes about 10 minutes per file and the software is free.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  10. biggebruv

biggebruv Regular member

when you guys say the receiver what do you mean the TV?
    im not sure?

11. voyager

voyager Member

External drives like WD HDD and flash drives are FAT 32 and not allow to save a files of 5 gigas and over(i mean a single file with this size) must be formatted to NTFS.
    The best form and more easier way to format your external WD HD is when brand new without any files and media,just right click and choose format a small windows appear and you just change FAT32,that is the default setting,and change it to NTFS.

The only problem was that when i attached my external HDD formatted to NTFS to my XB360 my XB360 won't read the drive but think that there's must be no problem with your WD MP drive.
    If your external WD HDD have a lot of files and media is more complicated to format cuz you will lost all the data.

12. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

If you want DTS support then get the WD TV Live. If you also want Netflix or VOD then get the live plus. And if you also want an internal HDD and HDMI 1.4 then get the Live Hub. But all of these three support DTS if that's what you’re worried about. The older model that you’re referring to doesn't. If you’re going to be playing back full 1080p, I would go with the Live Hub, it’s a lot smoother. If you can’t afford that, the WD TV Live or WD TV Live Plus are still smoother in terms of Full-HD playback compared to the older WD HD Player. The Live Player is pretty cheap (just under $100) considering what it can do.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/