1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD TV questions

Discussion in 'Media tanks' started by djluis2k5, Nov 16, 2008.

1. djluis2k5

djluis2k5 Member

I have a couple of questions about the WD TV.

1. Will this play video files that have chapter splits, and does the remote control let you both fast forward/rewind and skip chapters?
    2. If chapter splits are possible, does it give you the title of each chapter on the screen?
    3. Can the WD TV support a USB hub?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. wdtv

wdtv Member

1. No, that is the one downfall of this fine unit. Will not do chapter skips when playing an ISO, and will not give you any menu form the ISO file. Fast Forwarding is very time consuming. the remote does have a 'next' button but doesn't do anything on video files, would be nice to have a default of 10 minutes on that button.

2. no splits
    3. Not sure, but I would LOVE to find out, would be very cool.

I mostly got this unit for the .mkv support. It is truly spectacular. I also like the optical out for dolby and dts support. Would be nice if it can stream also but that is asking too much for a $99 unit.

3. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Answer to 3:

USB hubs are NOT supported. It's stated in the manual.

Also will not work with an external cd/dvd drive reading cds or dvds. The device requires access to the media to write to, and it doesn't have packet-writing capability as far as I know.

It does have upgradeable firmware so who knows what they can eventually enable.

I also got it mostly for the .mkv support.

4. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

I have the Gen1 unit. I saw someone suggest hitting FF then hitting the Next button to jump ahead 10 minutes. It does work, but too often on my player it results in audio or subs going out of sync. Maybe on the Gen2 it works better?