1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We want to buy Pre-Modded Xbox's but who is best?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by chrisice, May 29, 2004.

1. chrisice

chrisice Member

I have been searching and searching the net for a place to buy a fully modded xbox with all the latest and greatest inclusions like the blue LCD panel, switches, lights, buttons, of course the Mod-Chip and a massive Hard Drive 250. (Although I saw on a TV show that they could only go up to 120.) As I have so much money to burn and don't mind paying for seriously cool items like this. However it's not as easy to spend your money as I had thought. It would be nice to have a thread here with good information about the best places to buy one, past experiences people have had, good and bad, and what the "latest" actually means in the world of xbox modding. For example I am posting this on May 30th 2004. What is the ultimate modded xbox at the time of writing, and where can we get one?
    Best Regards, Chris.

2. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

ok a few things
    1.250gb HDD are now possible due to new BIOS
    2.the ultimate xbox mod i have ever done was an xbox which i turned into a pc here was its specs(sold it now)

-upgraded cpu from 733mhz to 1.4 ghz(dream x)
    -changed the xbox dvd rom with a dvd-rw
    -changed stock hdd with 7200 rpm maxtor 120 gb 8 mb cache
    -changed os to windows 98(usin the gentoox method)
    -had a wireless usb mouse and keyboard(took a bit of wireing)
    -and 2 usb adapters built in(so the usb ports came out the stock controll ports of the xbox) for use with printers etc
    -had a built in pc monitor adapter at the back of the xbox

3. as for where to buy a pre modded xbox depends on what country you come from, you never mentioned.

3. shenfo

shenfo Member

if you want to buy a modded xbox i am willing to sell you mine. it doesnt have any physical changes but theres no chips or anything, i think its called a soft mod. it has a 160gb hd in it. it currently 16 games saved on to it and i am willing to get you more. how much are you willing to pay? i live in the us where do you live

4. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

bear in mind that the dreamx 1.4ghz xbox WONT make your games run better, due to the games being coded for orig xbox spec. Great for LAN though!
    Bigest . I modded a couple of 250gb systems, theres some nice xbox modding for cases being done now too, I do that sometimes.
    If you buy an xbox from a website BIGGEST chances are you WONT get a modchip that is flashed, but thats no big deal (get the bios and a programmer, or cd fir the bios flash (if its an x2 lite) and get a auto installer, youre all set. Auto installers are the easiest way to setup a new hdd, very easy to do.
    (if you lock a drive, WRITE DOWN THE PASSWORD etc, cos if anything happens to your xbox mo/bo then the hdd is a paperweight, unless you have the password (then you can use hdunlock etc or somethin like it))
    Have a go at doin it yourself:) its good fun
    lots of extras actually now on ebay, case modding, leds etc (no hack mod stuff though, they see the word "mod" and its taken off, trust me I know!)
    remember if you fit a large hdd, get a 5400 (I would anyhow) and mod the fan to work on 12v (solder the black wire of the fan to the metal on the outside of the xbox, or get an adaptor to run it from the hdd power socket)

5. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

shenfo pssst word of warning, youre selling copied games!!

6. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

this is true, but the dream x i modded could not run games anyway as I took out the xbox dvd-rom(turn into a pure pc)

if you get a 5400 theres no-point in a fan mod, thats if you get a 7200, my 7200 works fine with a 12v fan mod, theres no probs at all(i have played it for 13 hours straight)

7. chrisice

chrisice Member

(Modded X-Boxes should NOT come with games on them as we must abide by the rules of this forum).

OK So far this is the machine we are looking at:

Hard Disk - Upgrade the Hard Disk to 250 Gb. All agreed?

CPU - Upgrade of the CPU is not required. For normal games on X-Box they won't run faster but if you want to play LAN games then this is worth it somewhat. All agreed?

Moving on...

Does anybody have an idea of the BEST mod chip out there at the time of writing this?

Does anybody have an idea of the BEST LCD panel out there at the time of writing this and why do we need one?

Does anybody have an idea of the BEST software to install after your box hardware has been modded?

After modding will your xbox play all regions DVD's and all regions games? How does NTSC and PAL fit into this?

We are getting close to the ultimate cool machine now.

8. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

-if you want to buy a mod chip with lcd get the latsest xenium or the brand new aladin(not sure if its out yet)
    -you can get a HDD up to 300gb with the latsest BIOS
    -best software=XBMC,DVD2XBOX,WINDOWS 98,DVDX2.0(o and some emulators are nice as well)

ok now for NTSC and PAL
    you can play ORIGANAL imports i.e I live in England so i can play an american game on my modded xbox, but not a back-up american game, I also need an NTSC compatable tv(i dont, but i have an adapter) DVDX2.0 will also allow you to play import dvds(back-ups OR origanals)

if you want the "ultimate" then you will need the cpu upgrade or else you cant hold that title, this will improve windows 98 as well(you can play pc games with this) it will make more pc games compatible, and you can turn the boost off when playing normal xbox games.

9. shenfo

shenfo Member

im not selling any copied games, all the games that are on there i bought from a store.

10. chrisice

chrisice Member

Hello again, we have really gotten somewhere with this thread. Here is how I see it now only a week later.

Your ultimate modded X-box should be:

300Gb Hard Disk (Upgraded)(Latest BIOS installed)
    1.4Ghz CPU (Upgraded)
    DVD-R/RW (Upgraded)
    Xenium Mod Chip + LCD (Installed)
    Wireless Mouse/Kbd (Installed)
    USB and RGB Ports (Installed)
    Case (Change to the case of your choice)
    LEDS (Change to some cool colours for fun)

Software to include on your X-Box HD.

Windows 98
    Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (Play old Arcade Games)
    XBMC (Not sure what this is! GUI/OS?)
    DVD 2 XBOX (Backup DVDs to your XBox maybe?)
    DVD X 2.0 (Play all regions DVD's?)

If there are any more Hardware Mod contributions or software we MUST have installed, please let me know.
    Cheers

11. artimis

artimis Guest

hello, I do not really know what it is but i was just wondering what is the best Xbox not in Pc form???

12. chrisice

chrisice Member

The Windows 98 inclusion is only a suggestion. You can choose what to boot up with if Im correct, the boot menu comes up and thats one of the choices. The reason to include it is so you can also play PC games. It is not as such a PC style Xbox ONLY.

13. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

XBMC=xbox media centre,it allows you to play "alternative" formats such as mp3 and vcd that cant be done with a standard xbox
    DVD2XBOX=a nice app that sends data to your xbox hard drive i.e games without having to connect to yor pc(you put the disc in and click copy)
    DVDX2.0=A nice app that allows you to play ANY region DVD with bo need to buy the remote(you use a controller)

14. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

you can still play xbox games with windows 98 installed, you just cant change the dvd rom to a pc dvd rom as they cant read xbox games.

You can however upgrade to a better xbox dvd rom, i.e from a xbox thomson dvd-rom to a xbox samsung-dvdrom, that will allow you to play cd-r(copied cds) (you would not have to do it if you already have a samsung in it duh)

15. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

o and chrisice dont install wireless mouse and keyboard as it uses up your controller ports, and dont "build in" the usb adapters either, simply get the usb adapters and plug them in when you need them.

(i did the wireless thing to mine because a 100% changed my xbox into a pc)

16. evilant

evilant Guest

Hi i am also intristed in this super xbox. but i have no skill or nolig of how to install any of this and i wold like to know if any one could bulid it for me and i buy it from them i dont mind if it cost's

17. evilant

evilant Guest

i live in Maine in the USA

18. Smingers

Smingers Member

Hello.

Im from Liverpool, UK, and was wondering if someone can give me a price (including delivery) on a pre mod with the spec:

300gig hdd
    blue led and bug
    with maybe a blue clear case
    XBMC, DVD2XBOX, DVDX2.0 installed?

Thanks

19. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

I mod the fan even with a 5400 rpm, really I think its cos the louder fan sends me to sleep when Im on the sofa lol

20. chrisice

chrisice Member

Could someone explain what a Blue LED and BUG is ?

Also here we are trying to find out the ultimate Modded X-Box machine. It seems there is a lot of "this is better, that is better" talk going on. What we are trying to achieve in this particular thread is what we should have modded, installed or tweaked on an X-Box to make it ultimatley superior to anything else out there.

If you ask me 7200 is faster than 5400 and therefore superior, so we would want fans installed and the quietest fans we could find.

How about listing what you think is the ultimate X-Box?