1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird: Different disc-size readings in Decrypter vs Shrink??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cenozoite, Apr 4, 2005.

1. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

When I check an original movie DVD (The Beach) with DVD Decrypter it reports the total size as just over 8GB, and when I go ahead and rip, the resulting ISO file is indeed 8+ gigs so I figure I'm dealing with a DVD-9.

Now, when I go to use DVD Shrink on it, after analysis it shows the total size as only 4.46GB!! And yes, that's the total size, the whole green bar is entirely green (goes right across the whole screen) with no red whatsoever. And in the details, the main movie is shown as about 3.6GB with the other directories making up the difference.

So, why are Decrypter and Shrink reporting drastically different disc sizes for this movie? Which one is wrong?

2. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

Hmm, I may have just been reading things wrong. I thought the green bar reported the total size of the disc. I see now that the 4.463GB number may just be what Shrink is shooting for as a result of compression and/or extras removal.

Is that it?

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes you are correct, dvd shrink has done its projected target size, and will come out that when you click go...

now if you want to re-author a dvd9 then change shrink settings to dvd9 size from dvd5 !

4. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2005