1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird---DVD plays on win98 machine, but not on XP

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by PCfreakus, Jan 6, 2008.

1. PCfreakus

PCfreakus Member

Hello everybody,

this is my first post in this forum :)

I have this situation:
    I burned a movie onto a memorex DVD+R, but it won't play in my dvd player (a recordable Samsung). I used Nero V6. to burn it. I checked the files on this DVD with ISO buster and all look good. I was also be able to play the movie in DVD Strink. I am running win 98 on this mashine.
    Now it's getting uglier.
    I tried to play the DVD on my laptop, which had xP on it, and it won't play. The DVD comes up as a CD on my laptop with one trcak, track01.cda.Then I opened the DVD with ISO Buster and it only shows one track, track58, 24 GB long....It's not a typo, that's what it shows.
    I burned many DVD +/-R using the same PC and software package, but never seen such a weird problem before.
    Has anyone have any idea what's going on?
    Thanks.

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

hummm weird , the memorex isn't your best choice but you might try booktyping the DVD+R to DVD-ROM and see if that helps playback.

what software are you using to backup DVDs ?

burn speed is important also keep it at 4x to 8x max

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The booktyping should make the DVD more compatible with standalone DVD players; however, if I had to take a guess for why is it happening, I would guess that the computer with Windows 98 is a FAT32 system, while the one with Windows XP is a NTSF system and some incompatibility occurs.

4. PCfreakus

PCfreakus Member

I used DVD stribk then nero V6 to burn it, because I don't want to use DVD strink.It runed some of my DVD's before.
    I used Memorex before with the same mashines/ software package and it worked fine. My DVD burner is pioneer 107D, maximum speed is 4x, and those memorex DVd's are 16x, but it should make any difference, I guess, I burned other one 16 x without any problems.
    Yes Win98 is FAT32 and my XP laptop is NTFS , but it should make any difference. It's like using a floppy formatted on a win98 machine, on a NTFS machine.
    Thanks.

5. PCfreakus

PCfreakus Member

Correction:
    "and those memorex DVd's are 16x, but it should make any difference"
    ="It should NOT make any difference".

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Well, it was a lucky guess, not an educated one. As for Memorex X16, there is a chance they might be RicohJPN, which is decent media. If they are CMC Mag., I would not allow them near my burner.

7. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

You probably just made a very incompatible DVD disc.

What EXACTLY did you use in Nero to burn that disc, and what format was the source file. E.g.: Did you use Nero Recode, Nero Vision, was it in AVI, etc..

My guess is you probably either made an editable (Multisession) DVD+R or messed around with some options and set it to the wrong booktype, etc.. and your drives are probably too old to recognise these formats.

Btw, updating Nero couldn't hurt, try getting your hands on Nero 7.

8. PCfreakus

PCfreakus Member

Amir, I used nero express, and I am sure I burned it correctly since I burned 100's of cd/dvd's in my life.
    Nero didn't give me any error message.
    DVD's don't support multi session.
    I think the problem is with my win98. I tried to reinstall Nero and I get an error message about some api.dll file. Also there was another error message about a hardware not functining, but everything functions.
    I reinstalled windows without formatting the hard drive, but it didn't correct the problem.
    Do you guys believe it could be my burner? I checked some Dynex DVD-R I burned a while ago, but theye were the last one, and they don't play in my dvd player, but they burned. I also tried to play them on my xp laptop, and they won't actually my laptop locks up .Does this sound more like a burner or a media problem?
    Thanks

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You can burn a multisession DVD with Nero. if you didn't finalize the disc, you would not be able to play the disc in your player.
    It sounds like a poor quality media. When you mentioned " hardware error" , what exctly was that error?

10. PCfreakus

PCfreakus Member

I used Nero V6 and I didn't see an option for multisession.
    I only get that options for CD's.
    The hardware error message popped up after I tried to install an application. There were 2 error messages actually: the 1st one was about some ...api.dll file not being able to be found.After that , there was a 2nd error message saying something about "a device attached to you PC ? is not working". Everything is working on that PC. The DVD burner works fine.
    If media would be bad, would I still be able to burn the DVD?
    I did not get any error message while I was burning, it just that the DVD won't play.
    As I said before, I burned a while ago a few Dynex DVD-R and when I checked them now, they won't play. There are about 5-6 of them.
    How would I know if the burner is bad or going bad?
    My burner is about 7 years ago and used a lot. I wonder if it's going bad...Or I am out of luck with the media?
    Thanks

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Seven years...I would say is pretty darn long for a burner. Probably can't finda any firmware update for the last few years. Even if it wasn't dying, it would not be able to recognize the media available nowadays, since I doubt it still has firmware support.
    You can buy a good drive probably for less than $40-$50.
    Get a new burner, you might be able to use this one as a reader.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  12. PCfreakus

PCfreakus Member

ahhh. What's different on the new media? I'm interested in knowing about this, if you could tell me or send me a link, I would much apprecaite it.
    I've already gotten a new burner, I just didn't have the time to install it.
    Thanks a lot.

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Different blank media(manufacturers), different burn speeds, formats(+/-), rw, DL, have different information pre-recorded. Your DVD burner needs directions on to how to read and write on those discs. That info is in the firmware. For example, your 7 years old DVD burner was bought at a time when the maximum speed for the discs was probably X4 , maybe less. With the new X16 discs, your burner might not recognize them without new firmware to "teach" him about those discs, how to read and write them

14. PCfreakus

PCfreakus Member

Ahh. I thought you meant the technology how they make them has changed.
    My burner (4x) has the latest firmware I found on the net and I burned many 16x DVD's,without any problems.
    Thanks

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

the Pioneer, Lite-On or Samsung are all top drives to get. 35.00 dollars will get you a really nice drive/burner

16. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you decide to get a new drive, I would suggest you get one that has booktype capabilities; probably the majority have it, but is something I would see as a must have feature.

17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

BTW Pioneer doesn't booktype unless you get hacked firmware

18. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Go with Lite-On, their latest drives support just about all formats and burning technologies/booktype settings.

Plus their very affordable.