1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weird HL2 problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sasha1303, Mar 19, 2005.

1. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

yeh , wen i play HL2 for a while it either freezes or som of the stuff goes seethru (like cs wallhack lol) and the HUD is invisible and so are all the weapons and evrything is all lagy , but wen i press the start key on keyboard (the windows icon) it takes like 5 seconds to get out , ut wen i go back in , it either freezes or goes back to normal . but i also recently but a new Asus Mobo P5P800 AI proactive and the new and latest pentuim 4 3.2GHz , tho this problem occred less and i could play longer my old motherboard was a gigabyte with an AMD CPU 2.7GHz dont kno anymore specs about it. Please Help

P.S i can show u some screenshots or the problem if any1 can tell me how to attach pics in the message from My Pictures

2. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

And Also , i think it maybe a heat problem so i bought another 2 fans , so there is now 1 normal size fan on top, side and 2 on the front (sucking) and 1 120mm fan at the back blowing , so i have 3 blowing and 3 sucking , and yes the Fan on the CPU is working fine , it cant be that becuase it was profesinaly installed (and so was the motherboard , video card etc. ) sorry for spelling i was in a rush

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does the video card have a fan on it & is it blowing correctly

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

What are your full system specs? Also, what settings are you running Hl2 on? If you're running it on high and running at high resolutions, this game can really tax the piss out of a system.

What you're describing, to me, sounds like the problem I had. When the game first came out they had issues with corrupt cache files from steam. It would cause the game to lag like a bitch at times and even freeze. They have released a patch that fixes the problem. I replayed through the game with that patch and it was as smooth as can be.

Without the patch, though, the game eventually corrupted itself seeing as it kept freezing at the end of the ravenholm stage.

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Click on start then run. Type in dxdiag and hit ok. There you will find your system information. Also what vid card are you using. I play this game often and know how picky it is. System memory is also on the menu for this game. You realy should have stuck with AMD. With my hardware on a p-4 3.2 I only get 30 FPS on this game. With my AMD64 3200 I get 84 FPS.

-Del

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  6. ddp

Mr_Del, with the same video card or different

7. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Same vid card, memory and sound card. The only difference was the MB and processor. The P-4 had an MSI(sorry cant remember number) with an Intel 845. The AMD sits on an Asus K8N-E Delux with an NVIDA Nforce 3 chipset. Also the test where done with the game at maximum settings WFVS off. The game did not recomend those settings for the P-4 but did on the AMD64. Vid=Radeon X800 pro, Memory=1Gig Kingston HyperX, Sound card=Audigy gamer (not the 5.1). After My tests I removed the audigy and now use the MB sound wich is 7.1 but I do not have any 5.1 or 7.1 equipment. Man I wish I did. All this was because I bought my son a cheap AMD xp 2500 system. With a radeon 9600 on it I noticed it was beating the P-4 3.2 and almost everything.

-Del

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  8. ddp

is it possible it is the chipset & not the cpu causing the lower fps???

9. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

That is extreamly possible. Any of the hardware between the CPU, MEM, and Video card can affect frame rates. That cheap board I mentioned did have a VIA on it. That board has fried (get what you pay for) Rebuilt with an NVIDIA Nforce2 board by DFI. Only put a samperon on it. I have no clue if it will play HL2, havent tried. OH yeah I forgot to add that when I turned off HT on that p-4 system I did gain 8 FPS. (This was the total FPS in previous post) Here is something to think about. I had an Intel processor on an Intel chipset. I seriously doubt VIA or SIS could make a chipset that would outperform that combination. Only Intel knows exactly how Intel works. Now I need to edit previous post to correct MB info.

-Del

10. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

well i didnt read all of it but , yes i am running on the highest graphics possible , but i always wanted to get a fan on my 5200GeForce but for some reson her ein australia they sell them with heatsinks , and i cant find a fan that fits on , i dont realy no much about my specs but my whole PC as been instaled corectly .Someone asked me about if i have a patch installed , i have passed the ragornaorka or w/e u call it (no freezing, tho on my old Mobo) im on highway 79 and this is were the freezing problrm started.

P.S If u know what i have to do to fix the problem please post

11. sasha1303

sasha1303 Guest

can some1 plz tell me were i can get this Patch?

12. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Yeah we did stray a bit. Are you looking for the HL2 patch? Steam should have downloaded it for you automaticly. I am unable to find a site you can download the update from. Put it this way, if you don't hear any stuttering then you have the update already.

-Del

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005