1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weird problem bin-dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by gerardr, Mar 16, 2005.

1. gerardr

gerardr Member

Hi there,

Im trying to convert bin files to Dvd (Vob etc)- i have two cds (1 entire film). Firstly i use isobuster to extract the mpegs then i use easyvideo joiner to join the 2 mpegs, then i use Winavi to convert them to dvd format. I then use dvdshrink to put them all onto dvd - but when i burn them the length only seems to be 1 hour 26 minutes and 48 seconds - no matter what vcd i do this with the result is still the same - each film is 1:26:48 ??????? - this is puzzling - so i tried using tmpgenc to convert the mpeg to mpv and mpa, it converts sucessfully but the video stops and the frame freezes at around 50 minutes - anyone any ideas????

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Since the procedure yiou follow is absolutely non-standard, there are many reasons wor which the movie butning can stop. I cannot imagine the exact reason for the DVD to stop. What I would do is:

1) extract 2 mpegs with VCDGear (not w. isobuster, because you must be sure you extract 2 mpegs, not 2 'riff files' doing with VCDGear , from the 1st screen: cue/bin --> mpeg
    2) check that CD2 is exaclty CD1(part 2) (sometimes the split is not 'perfect' and the 2 pieces overlap for some seconds) and do TMPGenc ____ MPEG Tools ___ Merge & Cut ---> merge the 2 mpegs into 2 big movie (cut a little time in one of the two mpeg, first, if the 2 CDs overlap)
    3) with DVDLab or any authoring application that allows you to put a VCD movie into a DVD (without converting it to a DVD mpeg-2, first) make a DVD which contain the VCD movie

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Don't use the video joiner.
    Use VCDGear as suggested by aldaco12 to get the mpg's.
    Join them during authoring in Winavi. Shrink if necessary.
    Why go through all the unnecessary steps with a separate joiner, re-encoding in tmpgenc, etc.?

4. gerardr

gerardr Member

Thanks for the tips. This is what i've tried:

1. Tried converting both mpgs without joining using winavi batch convert - converted but disc didnt play.

2. tried joining with tmpgenc and used merge/cut tools from mpeg options- joined and played sucessfully on computer - then tried authoring this with DVDLab Pro- threw up an error of audio not being standard Dvd - so i used the transcode feature to change it to 48khz. then authored and burn but now the file cuts out at a certain point again 1hour 13 minutes and 13 seconds, i tred this with another file and it cuts out around 40 minutes or so.

Anyone any ideas. I'm now trying to author the dvd with tmpg dvd author - fingers crossed!!

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You should encode each clip separately, also encode audio also separate, preferrably to AC3 in something like ffmpeggui.
    Join them only during authoring in DLP (or TDA), by making two movies, and linking them together.
    Obviously your joining process is what's screwing things up.