1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird problem, cannot identify the problem?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by shabi-ul, May 9, 2013.

1. shabi-ul

shabi-ul Regular member

Hi guys,
    So i'm being faced with this annoying problem with my windows 7 desktop computer. So the problem I have is, at completely random times, while using the computer, everything will kind of freeze up and not respond, then all the programs and explorer crash, when the end process window appear, clicking end process just makes that little end process box unresponsive also. Now when this happening, the only way I'm able to shutdown the computer is by physically holding in the power button for a few seconds until it shuts off. When I do this however, for some reason, it wont turn straight back on as pressing the power button does nothing. I have to wait a few seconds before it turns back on. Once it turns on, it gives that typical, windows was not shut down properly message and gives some options from which I choose start windows normally. It then takes longer than usual, maybe a few minutes, to get through the starting windows screen. After that it either work normally again or starts being unresponsive again. It does it completely randomly, sometimes it will go days without doing it, even a whole week, and then BAM! It randomly happens, and sometimes it'll happen a few times in one day...
    Also, at first I thought it may be a PSU problem because of the way it doesn't turn straight back on after shutting it off, however i've tries 3 PSU's, ot still has this problem with all 3!
    I was thinking, could it be my hard drive beginning to die?
    I honestly have no idea guys, please help!

Thanks! :)

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the make & model# of the hard drive? look at the silver topped cans on the motherboard that none are domed or leaking brown stuff. when this happens again, go into the bios to hardware monitor or pc health to see what the cpu temp is running at. make certain the cpu heatsink is clear of dust bunnies.

3. richietea

richietea Regular member

After you have done what DDP said it might be an idea to make sure your anti-virus is up to date,defrag the Hdd,a system restore,install a third party program like HD TUNE Or run a similar program for diagnostics on your Hdd and memory.Also try a Reg cleaner.If the problems persist try using a different Hdd it does not have to be fast or of a large capacity just enough to install the o/s,install your drivers and win updates and if the problems persist its not your Hdd.It might relate to other hardware you have installed.Try removing non essential cards you have(if any)make sure there are no conflicts in device manager.I know its a bit of a long list,however its all down to a process of elimination.