1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weird problem with new bulk Benq 1620

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by iglutikut, Mar 4, 2005.

1. iglutikut

iglutikut Member

ok this is one problem I cant solve on my own.
    here is the deal..
    any dvd-r I ever stuck in my pioneer dvd107 played in any of the 5 dvd players I own in my house no problem. never an issue..
    I bought a newer PC with a Benq 1620 bulk drive and now any dvd-r I burn to, will play in any DVD player I have except of course now for the toshiba 2700 that happens to be attached to my homer theatre system in my theatre room.. I cant figure it out.. not 1 dvd-r I have burned with this drive has worked...
    Does this make sense? take for instance a movie burned 2 weeks ago on my pioneer 107 on a Ridata G05, plays like a charm right now on the Toshiba 2700... But if I happen to put in a Ridata G05 that was burned with my BenQ 1620 bulk drive, it wont play at all...but yet it will still play in all the other dvd players I own..
    Any idea WTF is going on here???

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The benq 1620 should have the option to set the book-type to dvd-rom,using the + format though.That should make it more compatable for stand alones.

I have one,but it was made by benq and sold by Iomega. This burner has 98%+ success rate, and all those players/pc drives/ps2's/and my tv home burner will all play the + format. The - format, I found 1 older player that would not play then,but will play the + using both my 16x writers and other 2 burners.

You have 2 different burners,therefore, 2 different lasers. I am having that same issue,but my benq is fabulous, I just ordered another one from newegg to put into my backup pc.

Combined I have 4 burners, and all 4 vary considerably on which players they will play on and which formats. My good old 1 year old sony stand alone never fails. Just by watching those backups on it,I can tell if a newer encryption or manufacturer of my media is the problem.It plays all +/- as well as v-cd and dvd +rws.

The k-hpermedia +8x that came with my pc would play on all those players,except not my bedroom apex player. I would re-rip that kh backup either with my cyberhome home burner or benq and that apex would play sweet-using same media and 4x burn speed.that apex did not like that kh burner.

Now I got that special $40 I/O magic 16x,which is what my benq was 3 months ago, but I/O changed mfgs and it is an EMPA 1016 made in the middle east. By far the weakest burner,but the - format is playing in the majority of those players.. The + is having a heck of a time. This burner burns and backups look great on pc,but it's compatability-weeker laser,I will likely ebay it.I also can only re-rip the dash backups from this burner onto my benq and plays flawless.My lite-on dvd rom will not recognize it's + backups,even after setting the book-type to dvd-rom.

My cyberhome tv burner + only, plays in majority of those stand alones, but not as good as the benq.

All 4 have different lasers,therefore different compatability. That is why I usually stick with the + format.

The same goes for stand alone players, Certain ones will play everything and others won't play certain burners-thus weaker lasers/or dirty lens.

I burn a boat load of ricohjpn-01 on that benq,mainly maxell +4x. Try a small pack of them and see if your toshiba 2700 will play them. You just have to find the right format/media/ and burnspeed to work with both burners and all your stand alones,just like me.It's kind of like cooking up that certain recipe. The only media I used and it did not like was the verbatim -4x,digital movie quality. I had 1 coaster out of 2,and gave the other 3 away.The +4x verbatim digital movie quality discs worked great,over 120 burns and 1 or 2 coasters,buy that was from my pc not running right.

If you still have that sony 107,try re-ripping the benq backups onto the sony burner with the go5's. I bet you it will work,that is if your sony dvd-rom can recognize those benq backups.

Good Luck

3. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

I can not play any -DVD on my new Pioneer Player recorder that I burnt with my new BenQ 1620 Pro. Never had a problem with = or - with my old Pioneer 106D burner. The BenQ has a problem with -Discs and I am looking for a firmware upgrade it came with B7P9 if it doenst help the problem I am going to take it back.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

ALAND: here's a site for your firmware: http://www.americal.com/pg/dvd-burn... updates&OVKEY=firmware update&OVMTC=standard

I have found that my backups from both my benq's will play in all those stand alone players and pcs of my friends and family using the plus format,book-typed to dvd-rom.Well over 25-30 of them right now.My dash format backups do have a harder time playing in about 3 of those standalones.This means both my benq's favor the + format.They definitely hate the verbatim -4x digital movie quality media.

From what I have faced with firmware updates, they usually have little effect on playability on other stand alone players,pcs, and tv home burners.They usually take care of the problems of dvd burners being able to burn them in the first place.

It sounds more like a compatability problem between your benq burner and pioneer.

What brand name and speed rate of those dash backups?

5. rbmtl

rbmtl Member

for all you guys that got playback issues with dvd-r burned with
    the new Benq 1620 (work in pc but not in stand alone player)... it took me a while to figure out but now i know what exactely what was causing thoses issues.
    Problems were not link to any hardware, firmware, or media type (quality , brand of dvd-r) BUT ONLY RELATED TO COOLDOWN TIME NEEDED FOR THE BURNED MEDIA !!! keep in mind that the new Benq 1620 is a fast double layer 16x dvd burner and that dvd-r are made out of thermoplastic.
    *** Once burned any of your dvd will need to cooldown for ONE HOUR AND
    NOTHING LESS before you attempt to playback them either on pc or stand
    alone player.
    *** For an amazing dvd clone results; install "DVD Region Plus CSS Free v5.81"(that will unlock any protections) then create a 5g dvd iso on your hard drive with "dvd shrink 3.2" and finally burn that
    dvd iso at full trottle with Nero Ultra Burning.
    Enjoy !!!