1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird problems with DVD/CDROMs in WinXP Pro

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Almighty1, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

I am running Windows XP Professional. Previously, I had a external Philips OmniWriter 26 (Ricoh 6200S) 2x2x6 SCSI CD-RW and a Internal Pioneer DVD305S DVDROM drive connected to a Adaptec AHA2940UW UltraWide SCSI Host Adapter. I replaced the Philips SCSI CD-RW and have my HP ScanJet IIc scanner doing the SCSI termination instead. I bought a HP DVD+RW 200e (200j in Device Manager) USB 2.0/FireWire (IEEE1394) Drive and have this connected via FireWire. I'm using Adaptec 4.71 ASPI layer with the required registry entries and have replaced the WNASPI32.dll in %systemroot%\system32 with the one from Nero as this one supports FireWire and USB devices while Adaptec's support on IDE/SCSI devices. The problem I seem to be having is that unless I had a CD inside each drive prior to Windows booting up, My Computer will see the drives but when a disc is inserted, it changed the DVD-ROM and DVD+RW/CD-RW to just CD Drive instead of
    the volume label on the CD and when I try to read the CD, it shows a empty folder with 0 bytes in size. When I goto Administrative Tools -> Computer Management under Computer Management (Local) -> Disk Management which runs the Logical Disk Management Service, it does update with the size of the disc but it doesn't show the volume label at all either. What I noticed under the Windows Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} is that:
    LowerFilters:
    hpcd2k
    drvmcdb
    PxHelp20
    PFC
    REGKILL
    AFS2K
    MXLW2K
    CDR4_XP

UpperFilters:
    cdralw2k
    pwd_2k

The UpperFilters were always like this. The LowerFilters were changed when the DVD+RW drive is added as it adds the
    hpcd2k.sys, pxhelp20.sys, drvmcdb.sys to the list of drivers loaded. The pxhelp20.sys is a PxHelper Device Driver for Windows 2000 from Veritas Software.
    the drvmcdb.sys is a device driver from Veritas Software. the hpcd2k.sys shows to be CD Filter Driver version 5.0.2195.1
    Windows (R) 2000 DDK provider from Microsoft 1981-1999. Anyone has any ideas what could be causing the problems I'm experiencing or what the last 3 drivers are actually used for? The weird part is I can burn CD-R's fine. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2002
  2. afogh

afogh Guest

Congratulations! That your system runs at all is a wonder. I know for a fact that the adaptec drivers messes with the READ_TOC command in a way that it is not allowed to. I cannot say if this would cause what you see, but they are definately worth treating as a prime suspect as media mounting is closely related to READ_TOC.