1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome to the new AfterDawn discussion forums!

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by Ketola, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Something I am noticing is that when viewing any part of the forums there is no easy, visible way to differentiate between say, a stickied post, an active post, or one that has been closed/locked.

ALMASA likes this.
  2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

• Stickied threads show a drawing pin icon and are a slightly different colour in the forum layout
    • Unread threads have bold titles
    • Subscribed threads show a glasses icon
    • Threads you participate in show your avatar in the corner of the original poster's
    • Locked posts would show a padlock icon, I imagine!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    7thsinger and Ketola like this.
  3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Thanks for the hard work guys. This has, as stated, been a long time coming. Love the expanded BB codes and Upload a file feature, have used this on other forums for a long time.
    Also, thanks for inserting my avatar. If I had done it, I might have used the animated version and been banned, chastised or ostracized for doing so.LOL
    A sticky is marked with a red stick pin. Closed/locked, I don't see yet...

4. ireland

ireland Active member

THE SITE TEXT CONTRAST IS HORRIBLE

I HAVE A HARD TIME SEEING THE TEXT.
    OLD SET UP WAS BETTER FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A SEEING PROBLEM
    ...................................................................................

Ketola and attar like this.
  5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

IE Has the page magnifier at bottom right last time i used it,increasing from 100% to 110 should help.

In firefox i use the menu bar not the stupid top left corner firefox icon,which is where the menu is,once menu bar is placed back where it should be,right clik on it & select customize,drag the - + symbol to the menu bar,then close the customize window & increase text size

Ketola likes this.
  6. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Are you referring to the recent posts list? Unfortunately there's no way of listing new threads grouped by forum, as far as I can tell. You could instead watch the forums you're interested in and check out the watched forums list to see which have been updated.

That's probably the most harsh statement I've heard regarding the colour scheme so far. =D I'm trying to adjust it every day, and find a good balance between clean look and non-tuberculosis ward feel.

What would you change about the colours?

That pretty much sums it up - thanks, Ripper! Apparently the locked post flags weren't imported properly. Did you check this, @dRD ?

Hopefully the new BB codes and attachment feature can be put to good use!

For avatars you can either upload your own avatar or use an existing avatar from Gravatar. Yours fits the avatar size quite nicely. =)

7. Ketola

Duly noted. I think the contrast in the posts themselves is alright, isn't it @ireland ? Viewing the forums for the first time on my Chromebook I notice that the "lightest" text (i.e. the one used in signatures, member card below the avatar, and other "dimmed" texts) is way too light in most places. I'll try and get that sorted out.

Thanks for pointing out the problem! Merged the posts to the announcement thread to help me keep better track of the issues.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No problem.
    I just looked at a thread I previously knew to be locked and it's not locked now, so it would appear that way.

Edit: And actually all of the forum rules stickied threads were locked, which now aren't, as a more general check.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Ketola likes this.
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Images don't expand to centre - they sit on one side, which means unless they are much smaller than your browser resolution, they won't fit on the page properly. The old image viewer used to center images - this one should do the same :)

10. attar

attar Senior member

Example:

Clipboard03.

11. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Thanks Ripper. I did noticed the sticky icon later, but still didn't see any indication of locked threads so I left my original post as-is.

12. Ketola

That's a known issue with XenForo, that they have decided not to fix. I haven't implemented my changes to the resizer on this latest version of the software yet. I would prefer using Lightbox for all images.

Do you think that would be better? I tried the darker blue before, and it looked rather weird in most places.

13. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Gonna take me a while to get used to this new format. Then again, with the way tech keeps changing, gotta keep up with all y'all.

14. Ketola

Hi @Estuansis , copied your post over here from the graphics card thread to keep all the comments in one place.

We will most likely be moving away from the blue and orange color scheme as we update the main site later this year. I have grown fond of the colors myself, but it is starting to feel quite dated.

The font size has increased a bit, and I do like the serif font myself as well. Hopefully one day we will have all the user controls in one single place.

Actually we have closed the user profile section. Only users that have logged in can visit the pages anymore. If possible, you should migrate content from the old blogs to the XenForo account. For example you could add your PC specs to the "About You" field under personal details.

15. Ketola

This has now been fixed, and all previously locked threads should once again be locked.

16. Ketola

I noticed an issue regarding user tagging in posts (I was wondering why I wasn't notified for this post) . User tagging notifications does not work if you tag an user when editing a post. Notifications are only sent when a user is tagged when posting the message for the first time.

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ahh okay. Do you think XenForo intended it to be that way or is it a bug?

18. Ketola

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Interesting, I'd consider it a bug. I imagine the reasoning is as you put it but surely it isn't too hard for the database to recognise already called alerts? Oh well, not a big deal!

20. Ketola

Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult (or too resource intensive) to implement. I haven't looked into the alerts table to see if it could be quickly queried against existing notifications, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard.

Not a big deal indeed. I'd say adding mentions/tags via edits is rather rare. I'm quite sure there won't be notifications if a quote is edited in either, so the behavior is probably consistent this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.