1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

were not copied to this iPod... becaue they cannot be played on this iPod"

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by HalosGur1, Dec 21, 2006.

1. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Okay, I didn't know you knew THAT much about this, because we get alot of noobs around here. ;-)

I'm not sure what else you can do if the file is alreay MPEG-4, because there is no reason for it not to sync. Maybe a glitch in the firmware your running? Try updating or restoring the iPod and see what happens if nothing else works.

2. Amenon

Amenon Member

Thanks again Jazo - the good will is really appreciated.
    But....
    My %&&/8** videos are STILL not on my Ipod
    AAAAARGH
    Sometimes just I think forget it, it's not worth wasting any more time on...
    But then one of the points of a 30gig Ipod is to be able to watch vids on it
    :-(

Anyone else got any suggestions/hypotheses about resolving this problem?
    Thanks in advance -
    Amenon

3. Amenon

Amenon Member

Just noticed something...

Dark Jello states that Ipod will support H264 files with maximum framesize of 320 x 240 pixels.

But the Header Section of my Console Log seems to say that the output file which Videora generated has framesize 320 x 260 pixels.

Hmmmmm - sounds suspicious.

Then again, the file in question has an .MP4 extention to its name, so maybe as an MPEG-4 file it should be within the 640 x 480 upper limit which Dark Jello mentioned for MP4 files.

I don't know what the distinction is between H264 and MP4. If there is a difference then I wonder why Videora writes an MP4 file into a directory which it calls H264. Maybe a file can be both.... ?

Questions...

1. Do you guys think my file is not in Ipod spec and this is the most likely reason Itunes won't export the file to my Ipod ?

2. If so, is it conceivable that Redkawa would develop their Videora SW to generate output files which do not respect the Ipod spec ?

3. As far as I know Videora gives the end-user no control over the output file framesize - is that right ?

4. Is there any good freeware package out there I could use to convert my MPG files into an Ipod-compatible format instead of Videora ?

As I referred to your post Dark Jello I would be very grateful for your comments on this.

Thanks in advance and best regards
    Amenon

4. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

Videora doubles as a program for both the iPod and the PSP, both are just about the same exact program, but the iPod and PSP have different video constraints.

I havn't used videora in a while but I am almost certain that you can make your own profile that will allow you to convert to almost any size/shape/form video file you want. Poke around a bit. I don't have it installed anymore or I'd check myself right now. I'm pretty sure you can though.

Long time no see fellas ;)

5. Amenon

Amenon Member

OK - thank you Dark Jello.

I've found the profile edit function in Videora and see that I can set the resolution params to 320x240 then save the profile.

It's 1 AM over here now and I need to get some sleep.

I'll try to run a conversion with these settings tomorrow and see what happens.

Will post back news one way or the other.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Brgds
    Amenon

PS Any suggestion for an alternative freeware video converter if this attempt should not work ?

6. Amenon

Amenon Member

Well I said I would come back with news and it is NOT GOOD.
    Here's the story....

As per Dark Jello's hint I edited the Conversion Profile I was using in Videora and set the maximum framesize to 320 x 240, which is the biggest option available in the profile editor and is the upper limit the Ipod can handle for H264 files. I saved the edited profile, enabled the console log and started the conversion of my holiday video clip. As the conversion program ran and the Console Log filled out, the Header Section said framesize 320 x 260. WHAT??? AGAIN?? So I aborted the conversion, scratched my skull and headed back to the Red Kawa website to see if I could suss anything out about this glitch. Surprise! They have a new release, version 2.19, and the main difference is:

"2.19 Changelog:
    Fixed: AutoResize when Height too Large
    Added: More Video Types to VideoWizard
    Release Notes: In previous versions the AutoResize function would sometimes create videos with a height larger than the max height of the AutoResize setting. The AutoResize feature has been modified to ensure this no longer happens."

Well waddayaknow, the £$%ers knew about this all along and they still released it on me without a mental health warning. Oh well - at least they've fixed it now....

So I uninstalled Videora V 2.11 and downloaded V 2.19. One sec into the download Firefox gave me an error message. But when I hit "Ignore" everything seemed to progress normally. The install wizard ran fine and I went through the same old routine as described above, as per Dark Jello's suggestion again. And... guess what... The Console Log header section said 320 x 260 AGAIN. Anyway I let the conversion run to completion - three hours for a 23 minute video clip.
    And at the end of all this, did Itunes sync my video clip to the Ipod?
    Yeah. Sure. Like a hog does Immelmann Turns.

However I suspect Videora may be only partially guilty. Since I have previously succeeded in
    - rendering an (other) edited AVI video clip into MPEG
    - converting this into .mp4 (H264)
    - syncing the mp4 onto my ipod and
    - viewing this clip correctly on the ipod....
    this leads me to the conlusion that Videora can in fact do the job, given a good input file. I suspect Videora will not generate a syncable file from the one I've been trying with now because of something it doesn't like in the input .mpg file - this may be the rendering program's fault - but neither Videora nor Itunes provide any hint of what the problem actually is (prime suspect: 320 x 260).

Incidentally in all this process I noticed a cute featurette of Itunes: if it cannot sync one of the clips in the Movies library, then any existing movies on the Ipod vanish. iNsult and iNjury.

At this point I throw my hands up in disgust and throw in the sponge - unless anyone has some additional proposal which they are pretty damn confident will work.

7. mrxxg

mrxxg Guest

please bear in mind the general limits which the iPod carries~

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320x240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats.

MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480x480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats ..so you may need to reconvert it.

i personally use cucusoft dvd to ipod suite, never had this problem for me..you can see this forum guide for help. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/297023

8. Amenon

Amenon Member

Thank you for the pointer MrXXG. I REALLY have those ipod limits in mind! I lost three evenings messing with Videora and I think the reason is that that package cannot convert my video file correctly to those limits.

I like the sound of Cucusoft and downloaded their ipod video converter package. But when I run the application I get this error message:
    " MP4Converter.exe - Entry Point Not Found. The procedure entry point WMCreateWriter could not be located in the dynamic link library WMVCore.dll. OK "

It's that smug-sounding "OK" in error messages that bugs the heck out of me.... Any idea what I can do about it? (the error I mean - aside from calling in The Gremlin Exorcist of course) I'd really like to try this package out and all this failure is starting to get to me...

:-(

9. Amenon

Amenon Member

I just tried uninstalling/re-downloading Cucusoft ipod movie and video converter.

After re-installing the program still cannot find the DLL mentioned above and gives the same error message.

This DLL is not on my PC (Windows Search function does not find it either)....

Any help? Any alternative?

Thanks in advance.

10. Amenon

Amenon Member

Nirvana! :)) Not Red Kawa, not Cucusoft, but.... Ipodifier!

http://ipodifier.com/index.html

Free, downloaded. installed, worked smooth as silk.
    First try, no hassle, straight into itunes, stright onto the ipod.
    It says it does a load of other TV-related stuff too.

Thank you all for your help.
    Over and out for now.

11. apoorvajs

apoorvajs Member