1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what 7.1 system?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by SNOOKERS, Aug 4, 2008.

1. SNOOKERS

SNOOKERS Regular member

hey guys, need a bit of advice. i have a sony 5.1 system with optical at home i use this through me ps3 to watch blu-ray but at the mo i DONT get to use it because of her coranation st, eastenders & worst of all fair city.so after numours rows i decided to have the garage coverted into a room all for me away from those f***ing soaps lol.but i have to go one better & buy a 1080p so with that comes next gen sound, i want to experience blu-rays in there full glory ive got around 5 to 600 euro to play with for a good 7.1 reciever but i dont know what to go for i dont even know if speakers come with them or bought separately? any help on this matter is greatly apriciated.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. cactikid

cactikid Active member

building a new system can be fun but very expensive as the little things u dont think of just adding up.the first line of defence is a state of the art surge protector that can handle,cable/sat and phone,mine has 3 ins and 3 outs and also filters mains dirty power,tv,blue ray,hdmi quality cables,amp the one i bought has 4 hdmi ins [thinking ahead ] and 1 out,speaker cable roll e500,subwoofer cable,plugs for speaker ends to plug into amp,now u know the little box u get ur receiver in with small speakers and amp they are ok ,but if u want to feel the music u need to go for the big boys,i bought the klipsch 5-1 with the centre speaker 23 inches wide,added an xtra 2 smaller speakers for centre surround,what ever u do dont go to harvey norman that was my downfall,how are u going to mount tv on wall,stand,when i bought my tv i bought 3 tiered stand,not big enough with new kit,hence i had to buy a new adjustable stand with adjustable shelves because weight of amp 25kg and 8.5 1nches tall. receivers speakers leads plugs etc do not come with units,when thinking of receivers how many hdmi connections will u ever need?

3. SNOOKERS

SNOOKERS Regular member

sorry took so long in replying unexpected visitors.i did'nt think there was so much involved.so what your saying is that everything comes separately ie reciever,amp,speakers,subwoofer?look i'ii be honest with you im great with me hands i can build anythig but when it comes to technical things im useless.i dont want to buy another off the shelf 5.1 system as technology is changeing so if its not to much trouble could you give me a run down on diffrent makes & models & what exactly i need to make this happen in simple terms please.cheers m8

4. cactikid

cactikid Active member

sorry mate i am not in to that as i was in harvey norman the first thing i heard was loud pumping music and u do the usual thing and check it out,that is why i fell in love lol,the only thing i can say is go and look at the high end shops for profesional products listen to them,and dont set a budget price,the receiver i bought was onkyo tx-sr875,and synergy klipsch speakers f3,s3,s1,and sub 10.the receiver is the hub of a good system.if u do a google search u will get some idea what is ahead of u.
    tv
    receiver
    speakers and amp
    power surge protection [ google monster home theatre power centre ]
    speaker cable quality to suit amp and speakers
    cables hdmi good quality
    speaker banana plugs for amp
    sub bass cable ?

5. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

As my bro cactikid, says, for real home theatre, can't skimp on power and $$$

My favs

1) prepro (as outlaw audio 990 or Anthem AVM-50)
    2) separate monoamps an the Bryston 4B-ST or SST ( these are stereo, but killer amps) If your budget can handle it, 7 Bryston 7B-SSTs
    3) Good speakers as the Klipsh
    I prefer the Definitive Technology 7001sc line with a def tech 3000clr center speaker
    4)A good powered subwoofer as the JL Audio Fathom F-113

Expensive, but well worth the money. This system should last a lifetime.

http://www.bryston.ca/7bsst_m.html
    http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/supertower/supertower.html#7001sc
    http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/clr/clr.html#3000

http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=371

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/990.html

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  6. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

I know you said you wanted a receiver, but once you go basic, you cant go back

BTW, for excellent speaker cable, use 10 or 12 awg 2 conductor power extension cord (just cut the ends off) and you will have great sounding speaker at a fraction of the prices for esoteric cable.

Sorry for the double post (I hit the wrong button)

7. cactikid

cactikid Active member

and is it power protected?

8. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Shunyata Hydra 8 ?

Forgot :(

9. delerue

delerue Guest

Pardon my ignorance, iluvendo, but what is a "10 or 12 awg 2 conductor power extension cord" and where can I buy it ?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

10. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

10 or 12 AWG (American Wire Gauge) power extension cord is the stuff you can buy at the home building stores (as Home Depot or Lowes in the US). It usually comes in 50,75, or 100 feet lengths and is either 2 or 3 conductor. You only need the 2 concuctor variety. Just cut the ends off (the male and female ends) and remember the color coding as black or white for positive and negative. Power extension cord is usually good enough quality (and thick enough) to act as decent speaker cable (just make sure it is multistranded, more strands the better). I read this in an article in the Absolute Sound magazine several years back, and the 12 gauge power cord was the reviewers favorite to connect their high end speakers (cheap too, I might add)

Just cut to the desired length, making sure l+r sides are the same length.

@delerue, You are welcome !!

11. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i would be worried about using power cord extension cable as speaker cable as things have progressed a lot further than that and as new tech stuff is getting very pricey i would be worried about cables doing damage to receiver or speakers

12. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Power extension cord is usually 98-99% purity copper. Although not oxygen free, it is the stuff the innerds of the preamp/amp/receiver is connected with. So the logic is that if this is the material the electronics is connected with, it should be good enough to transmit the power from the amplification source to the speakers (it just has to be thick enough to carry the amperage) Multi stranded wire is best in that high frequency info is carried on the surface of the strands and current is transmitted via the core. Therefore for more high freq info to be carried, multi strand is a must.

Exotic speaker cables use oxygen free copper and various stranding strategies. Some use silver cable (pure or coated over copper), but this adds to the cost prohibitively. But essentially still good copper cable (that's what Monster Cable is)

As long as polarity is observed, the use of decent power extension cable as speaker cables should not pose a problem for the safety of the electronics.

The interconnects between source and preamp is another discussion, and what applies for speaker cables does not apply there.

13. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i like a good arguement lol

14. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

And I love the fact that my aD brothers do keep an open mind and cannot be ever called closed minded.

delerue and cactikid, my fellow aD'ers, please download and read this article in the April 2004 AV Guide on speaker cables. It includes my power extension cord argument ( this is where I got it )

http://www.avguide.com/file-download?review=1423

Please post back after reading it with your comments. Thanks in advance.

15. delerue

delerue Guest

What an eye-opener! I will go with the "HD" cable instead of those over-priced speaker wires at Best Buys or Fry's.

Thanks iluvendo!

16. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

@delerue, you are always welcome !

17. cactikid

cactikid Active member

me iam speechless,sore throat shouting over llllllllllllllllllloooooooodddddddd music lol

18. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Cactikid, I told you once, I told you 1000 times, turn down your new toy, I can't hear you !!!!!! (LOL)