1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What about acss?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by johnnyd54, Jan 3, 2005.

1. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

Since resident evil caused such a fuss I was wondering if any of the brains e.g. scuba_pete,uk_lighting, ollie and more are working on the new 128 bit encryption as dicussed here www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/jan05/0105ldvd.htm just wondering whether to worry or not.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Any DVD already has it beat!! :)

Just get the newest version

3. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

According to the article this has not been used yet. I know anydvd beat resident but this is supposed to be released sometime in mid2005 as protection. Did you read the article?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I would if the link was any good? LOL

5. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

Sorry am not sure how to put it in right . Will try again http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11144 Still don,t know how to make it right but this address will take you to the first article which will lead you to a second.

6. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

According to the article it will still protect the data even after its been cracked. This doesn't make a lot of since to me but evedently it does to them. It is supposed to incorperate a changeable key on the disk and one in the player. Anyone elighten me further?

7. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

So if this thing "corrupts" a dvd players set of keys, is the industry going to replace all those players for free???!!! Surely not. Only thing you'll get is a lot of pissed off people I guarantee. And another thing as I'm sure we're all aware of, WTF happened to [bold]FAIR RIGHTS USAGE[/bold]???? Screw Bill Gates and DRM, Sceew the DMCA and screw Clinton for signing the piece of shit bill to start with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....... pardon my language this just really irritates me. Too many greedy corps "i.e. HOLLYWOOD" who are making money hand over fist to begin with and don't give a damn about anything else. It isn't the average Joe who makes a backup of his/her disc that is hurting you Hollywood, it's these clueless thieving assholes who MASS produce pirated matierial and then sell it for profit. Just like the stupid gun laws here in the USA. It does absolutely NOTHING about the guns in the hands of the criminals on the streets, it only takes guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, rendering us defenseless should we get mugged. I guarantee that if your average street thug knew that their victim could possibly be packing heat, they would think twice before mugging them. Just my thoughts, sorry for ranting.

Here's the link for that story:
    http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/jan05/0105ldvd.html

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  8. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

They say there trying to put the cow back in the barn but I think they are milking the horse. How would this protection work without all of us buying new players, computers etc. and I don't see that happening but they have a lot of big wheels trying so what are we going to do about it, those of us with the brains which leaves me out . How about you scubapete?

9. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

It would work by forcing the consumer to buy a new player to watch the newer movies that have this ACCS on them. If you refused to buy a new player (like if there is NOTHING wrong with the one you own) you couldn't watch the new stuff because your player wouldn't have these new encryption keys on it. It's all about dollars. Not only for Hollywood but also for the DVD player hardware industry. So it' win win for them. More like dragging the cow back in the barn to milk all 5 tits. Only problem is, what happens when the consumer gets tired of this useless BS that they do and "the cow drys up"???? Another problem is there are too many people who don't care if they have to buy another player or not. Or buy another one after someone cracks one set of keys and they fry some of the players in the process??? Sorry but I don't have the money to keep buying new hardware. Bunch of ridiculous BS from Hollywood. >=(

10. wild77

wild77 Guest

And the best part is all the players will be built in China.Just adding to the greed of the major companies involved in this project.Someone will beat this protection if it can be played it can be copied.