1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are best settings/filters for VHS2DVD quality?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by easybut, May 11, 2004.

1. easybut

easybut Member

I have VideOH (Adaptec), with USB1 capture device, also Pinnacle Studio 8 also with USB. I decided to capture with the former since with the latter you have to drag and drop everything one by one to the storyboard. I also have Video Studio 6 (software only) since I took the product back. I need to know what is recommended for the following:

What is the best of the 3 capture devices I have?
    What is the best edit device?
    What filters would produce the best quality for dvd playback.
    What settings in Virtualdub/Tmpgenc need to be adjusted and to what?
    What compressors, if any, should be installed?
    Should I increase the 15fps framerate, if so by what approx/exactly?
    People have replied rubbish in and rubbish out. On some of my videos the quality is excellent, so should it not be excellent in excellent out? Admitidly some were LP video-recorded but the end result is still pretty ok.

My OS is a Windows XP (Home) Dimension 8300 with 80GB+120GB storage. Pentium 4 Processor

As u have probably gathered I am new in this field but feel if these questions were answered satisfactorily they would set me and many others on our respective ways to better VHStoDVD quality and by the way I don't have a DV Camcorder only an Analog.

Thanks for taking the time to read this message and look forward to hearing from you all soon. Clive

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Your Main Problem with Quality is that you are useing really Crappy capture devices and there are NO USB 1.1 Capture devices that will produce any sort of Quality because of the Limited Bandwidth....
    Your only option is to get a Real capture device Preferably a PCI capture device that can capture to Full D1 DVD resolution(720+480/576-Pal) and at 29.976fps...Or if you really want to get the Best Possible Quality then Invest about $200 and get something like the Canopus ADVC-55/100 or the Canopus ACEDVio, But with the devices and software you are useing now evertthing you do will be pretty much a waste of time especially if Quality is your Goal....You can Probably Increase the Quality by 400% by getting a Simple $30 PCI TV Card as at least they can capture at full resolution....well good luck

3. easybut

easybut Member

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I think you've said it all in a nutshell. If I get the PCI TV card at £30 which u said improves the quality by 400% will I still need the USB leads I have or will they become obselete? I'm in the UK where do I get one for $30. Do u have a brand name suggestion I website that sells them? This would be most hopeful so at least then I can read up on it.Do computers come with them installed? You never know. Let me know Cheers minion. Clive

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I said it would increase your Quality bt 400% because you will then be able to capture at Full DVD Resolution which is 4 time Higher resolution that you can capture with a USB 1.1 device which only captures at a Max of 352+288 but probably closer to 320+240....The best Place to find Cheap TV Cards and other Computer equipment is to go on e-bay...I just did a Quick like a minute ago and I saw 30 or 40 different TV Cards that had shipping to the UK...Whatever you get try to get one that has a 10Bit decoder chip and can capture up to 720+576, something like the Asus TV Tuner ,or the PixelView Play TV Ultra, the two I just mentioned usually go for about $60 US but can be found for cheaper and there ate other simular cards that will produce the same quality in the same price range....Cheers