1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what are the best surround speakers to get?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by rcaseyx, Aug 12, 2005.

1. rcaseyx

rcaseyx Member

I heard bose are good but are very expensive and what is so different about bose and the 300$ sony's that makes the price so different?

2. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Your comments on Bose are half right!

I've been very happy with Monitor Audio's FXi surround speakers, you can wire them in dipole mode.

3. vwsport80

vwsport80 Regular member

All I can say is, don't get caught up in the hype! There was a saying when I use to sell home audio, "No highs, no lows, must be bose." Now, don't get me wrong, bose aren't exactly bad speakers, I just think they're a little over-priced. You also want to look at your budget and what you want out of your speakers. If you just want some decent surround, than you don't need to spend $30,000 on it. Don't forget about how much power you have to give them. If your receiver can only give 50 watts to each speaker, you don't want a 100 watt speaker. It's always better to have more power than the speaker needs. People usually blow they're speakers by under-powering them and turning the volume too high. I never (or rarely) saw a speaker blowm from too much power. The speaker needs to have stable power behind it, not something that is giving everything it has, it won't last. Do some looking around, so long as they aren't really cheap or claim some ridiculous amount of watts, you should be golden. Try to stay away from no-name brands, they can get you in trouble. Hope this helps a little, good luck!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  4. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

I heard the Creative GigaWorks S750 7.1 speakers are the best ? Or best alround. Anyway I got Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers.
    edit--
    My bad if your not talking baout PC surround sound :(

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  5. Sledge13

Sledge13 Member

I have 2 sets of Infinity Sterling Surrounds With Infinity Center and Subwoffer that are still going strong after 10 years. they weren't cheap, but they are quality speakers. Of course, my 15" Infinity Studio Monitors (SM 155) are the real core of my Yamaha RX-V4600 powered system. Circut City has a nice small Infinity Silver Surround with Sub and Center for around 399 when it;s on sale. They sound good, but you'll need a decent set of mains to go with the 4 sattelites for a seven channel system.

6. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

1. Stay away from Bose
    2. Stay away from Bose
    3. If you still want to buy Bose, I got me some real nice moon real estate you might be interested in.

Now that I got that off my chest, let's look at some constructive suggestions.

First thing you need to do when you are looking for speakers is to determine your budget. Since there are countless choices for speakers, narrowing it down to what you are willing to spend is a good starting point.

Secondly, pay big attention to your room. If it is not optimal (or as optimal as you can make it), you can have 1M dollar speakers sounding like Bose. If your room is just right, you will be happy with almost any decent speakers.

Thirdly, DO NOT SPEND A FORTUNE ON SPEAKER WIRES. Performance of a speaker has very little to do with wires. As long as they are thick enough for the distance it has to travel (I use home depot 12GA speaker cable, I think it was like C$1.70 a metre). Same thing with interconnects, they just have to be well shielded.75 ohm 95% copper braid sheilded coax is good enough, foiled on top of the 95% braid (well, braid is outside the foil, just speech issues) is even better.

Lastly, the sound system doesn't matter, what you listen to is more important. The music (or the movie) is the important thing. Don't get too fixated on hardware. I would rather buy 2000 dollar of cd/dvds and have a 500 dollar system rather than buying 2000 dollar system with only 500 dollar of material to enjoy.