1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the good brands of CD-R out there?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by tcwas, Mar 5, 2006.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

JoeRyan..I can only pass on what experience's,I've had with different Drives,Media,Software. I have definetely found SPEED over all else,to create more flaws on Discs.More so then Media & Software.My primary concern is LONGIVITY of my finished product.But only time will tell us that.
    I do thank everybody that takes the time to pass on info here at AfterDawn..Over the years I have learned so much here.When DVD's first came out I thought a DVD was a DVD,same with CD's..Few years back quality was very important.I was just an average consumer & put my trust in name brands.You can't do that today,you might find quality today & tomorrow they have changed.You really have to come to places like this & pay attention to all here that have something to say.But as always individually we have to make up our own minds..I have often taken parts of 2 somethings & turned that into a better 1 something..

2. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Hey guys,i know it may sound weird because i've been making some readings here and i saw that most people are saying that Verbatim cds are nothing same as their dvds.Well i just checked at that place,it's a shop in Shanghai,China,where i used to get my TY verbatim dvds and today by checking their website i've found they got some verbatim cds "made in Japan".That's why i was saying it may sound weird to say that there's in fact some verbatim cds being made by Taiyo Yuden(i guess because if they are made in Japan it means they are made by TY).

I know most of you guys do not understand chinese,but it's same as me,i just used google to translate that page and that's how i've been able to find out that the country of origin for these verbatim cds is Japan.Also i've noticed that almost all or even all medias coming from Taiyo Yuden,their cakeboxes are a bit different from regular ones,like from those coming from Taiwan for example.By different i mean the shape,if you look well you'll find out what i'm talking about.

Here's the website i'm talking about: http://www.cdvdbest.com/list.asp?ProdId=1457

When before i've loaded myself with TY Verbs dvds from there,they were the real deal because i've learned quite a lot of things here in AD and that's how i've been able to determine that they were real TY medias.

So have a look guys/gals and let me know what do you think about that.You can use the translate option from google to get it translated for you,you can translate the whole webpage as well as you can translate only part of what is written in it.To make it easier for you,just use this link to get directly to google translate: http://www.google.com/translate_t

Vincent.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  3. twofake

twofake Member

I looked up this forum because I just bought two tubs of 50 Verbatim Data Life Plus 1x - 48X speed because they have printable surfaces BUT I have made three coasters in 3 attempts. All I was burning (or should I write ättempting to burn" was some MP3 music for my car. The burner is a DVD burner in my HP desktop computer which virtually never fails. I think there is a problem with these discs. I set the burn to the lowest allowed by Nero Express version 6. This speed was 16x.
    Can anyone comment on what is going wrong here? Is it the discs?They say "made in Taiwan".
    If I try to burn say 135 tracks, the burn process starts and then fails after about 15 tracks are burned.
    OH yes, I hope I am allowed to ask this question in this media forum.If not, disregard it please.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

twofake...You don't mention what burner U have,or if U tried other types of Discs.If U have any RW's I would try those,or just try some other brand if U have a few..Maybe try borrowing from friend..Personally I prefer Acoustica for burning Audio or MP3 CD's..Everybody brags on Verbs,but I've always had more problems with them.I really prefer Ritek,to date I've had no problems burning with Ben-Q burner at 12x

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

The Verbatim dvds made by MCC are great - it's the Verbatim cds made by CMC that give me the most coasters even on several different burners.

@twofake - have you tried a higher burn speed?
    What's the error message you get from Nero? 135 tracks sounds like an too many for a cd to play in the car if you're using the audio cd option in Nero.

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

binkie7..I think it was mentioned 135 MP3...Audio CD I rarely get 18 songs on a Disc.Don't think Ya can get more then that,unless ea song is a min long..hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

7. twofake

twofake Member

I have tried RW discs by TDK and they seem to work well. After this posting I will erase one and try again and will repost the reply if it fails.
    My burner is a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA H21L (whatever that brand is?) inside a HP DX7200 MT (Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz/1GB/160/DVD+/-/XPP) computer.
    I have used Ritek,TY an dVerbatim DVDs but this latest batch of Verbatim CDs is terrible!

8. twofake

twofake Member

I tried a higher burn speed (I let the computer burn at it's own set speed and it picked 48X but the burn failed at the same place...but it failed 4 x quicker!! (joke)).

9. twofake

twofake Member

I read the last few comments that 135 was too many tracks. I have burned about that many on my TDK RW CDs for my car and they turned out OK. I then suspected that I had posted the wrong number of tracks and that lied to the forum....................................
    Sorry guys, I tried to burn 137 tracks, not 135.

10. twofake

twofake Member

Hi guys,
    I managed to get the MP3 compilation of 137 songs to work. I re-tried the " add to list" on making audio disc in MP3 format in Nero Express and this time it took longer than my last attempt. Meaning ,maybe last time there was a reading error? Anyway I burned successfully onto a TDK RW then I clicked "burn same project again" and the Verbatim disc worked. Maybe it was the original set up that was at fault? Maybe there were 3 bad discs in a row (I hope not).?

11. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Maxell CD-R . . .

. . Aug 26 - Sept 01

. . . Office Depot

. . . . $12.99 for 100 of 'em

It just don't get much better than that!

12. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@twofake
    Ah you're using the mp3 option - my car player won't play them so I have to use the audio cd option. Lucky to get 20 songs on a cd.
    The problem may have been with the original set up - if you're able to keep burning them w/o coasters then more than likely that was the case.

@catfreak
    Txs for the heads up - good deal on those Maxell.

13. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Has anybody else been using the Ridata 52x I've been using them the last year and they seem quite good. I'd like to hear a little input from anyone else. Chris

14. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I've had no problems with the Ritek 52x CDR's. A TDK 30 pack (made by Ricoh) was a different story. Beyond 60 minutes I got crackles plus the music would stop & start for short peroids. I threw the rest away. Might have been a bad batch.

Just about any CDR seems to work for me. Ritek, CMC, Daxon, Prodisc & of course Tayio Yuden...

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Don't know about the CD's,but all Office Depot DVD's are Ritek..When they have a sale I grab them.Just bought 4 50's 4 $4.99ea When they put RW's on sale 7bucks foe 50 I jump at them.When I need CD's again I'll definetly try Office Depot.Just wish they would put printables on sale.So far the best buys seem to be on the net [Meritline,Supermedia Store] I highly recommend these stores

16. catfreak

catfreak Active member

If you live near a MicroCenter . . They have 50 packs of RiData printable CD-R discs for $8.99

. . . and 50 packs of HP DVD+/-R inkjet printable discs for $13.99

Not too bad

17. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Maxell (for now) has switched to Ritek for it's CD's & DVD's. The CD's have -00 at the end of the part number while DVD's have MKM or something like that.

I've seen Prodisc Maxell CDR's out there lately as well as Maxell DVD's made by CMC & Prodisc coded CMC & PT at the end of the part number located near the UPC code.

Also seen Maxell Digital Audio CD's that were made by Tayio Yuden but I don't know if they still use TY as a supplier. Sony's Digital Audio CD's have been TY lately (the ones I've seen) as well.

As to speed I burn audio CD's at 16x & get great playback results.

18. DEVINRL

DEVINRL Regular member

made in japan.

19. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I got my hands on some Taiyo Yudens cd-r's are they a superior disc?
    I've used TDK for most of my burning but the reports on them are bad especially recently.
    the Yudens have an unusual light-blue recording surface that reminds me of the very first tdk's someone said the Yudens are Azo-based whereas the first tdk's were probably crap
    any feedback and/or opinions valued
    I feel lucky because the taiyos are hard to get in australia

20. piano632

piano632 Regular member

Taiyo Yuden are some of the very best media available. They are the ones that invented the CD-R so they should know what they are doing. They use Cyanine dye with some additive. TY would be among my top 3 choices, along with MAM-A and maybe some other gold discs. TDK discs have been crap for years now (mostly CMC junk) however you may be able to find some "medical grade" TDK that should still be made by TDK themselves.