1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the good brands of CD-R out there?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by tcwas, Mar 5, 2006.

1. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Yes I think they are. Never had a problem with one. The only thing I don't like about TY discs is the top coating is a bit thin on the silver inkjet printable discs so that fingerprints show when you touch the disc. However the problem goes away sfter the disc gets printed on if the whole surface is covered by ink. Store bought Fugifilm (the ones made by TY) have the exact same problem & they are not inkjet printable.

They record & play back (as audiodiscs) really great!!

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs are excellent discs; but because they use cyanine dye instead of phthalocyanine, they will not last as long as most discs will. The difference is roughly 40 years versus 120 years; so that may not make a difference to anyone.

CMC manufactures the TDK discs, including the medical versions. They also manufacture Verbatim CD-Rs. They are not junk.

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I agree, however, I still get 4 or 5 coasters per 100

Now the ProDisc made Maxell . . I went 3 or 4 cakeboxes of 100 between coasters . . .

Victor

4. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

I still find MIJ Fujis at Besy Buy which code out as Taiyo Yuden. Its usually the 50 packs. The 30 packs are MIT.

5. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I ran though about 200 Prodisc (Memorex 32x Cool Colors) last year. They recorded & played back fine both as data discs & audiodiscs. The recently bought Prodisc Maxell CDR's have yet to be burned but I'll get to them after some TY & Imation CDR's. I don't burn my audio CD's over 24x so maybe thats why I'm getting good results with them.

The Maxell Prodisc DVD's (look for PT at the end of the product code on the outer wrapper) freeze & pixillate when played back on several DVD video players I have. So I guess they are only good for data use. The Ritek Maxells (coded MDM) play back perfect just like TY or Verbatim does.

6. bratcher

bratcher Active member

And what does each 50 pack cost you?

7. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

Last time I bought them they were on sale for $7 per pack so I stocked up. Not sure what the regular retail cost is, probably the same as the Best Buy online price.

8. bratcher

bratcher Active member

$7 was a great price & is what I paid for each Maxell 50 pack a few weeks ago at Office Depot.

9. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

thanks everyone for the feedback on the TY's much appreciated
    @Bratcher I was lucky enough to get some ceramic-coated (that's the word I was told) coated TY cd-r's so I don't have your problem but I have heard of the metallic-thin-coating issues
    cheers everyone for the opinions and knowledge

10. bratcher

bratcher Active member

The thin coating on TY CDR's isn't really a problem for me. I'm used to it.....

11. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I had something running through my mind and will pass it by the experts - you know how cd-r's have the permanent marker issue with the possible texta ink eating through to the write surface I was told this was not the same with dvd-r+rw media - my theory why can't the manufacturers of cd-r apply the same process with a protective barrier for silly people like me who years ago wrote with big fat Artline ink?
    and those discs did fail on me
    anyway, just thought I'd throw this up for discussion because the afterdawn members have amazing manufacturing/disc knowledge

12. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

DVDs are built differently.

The recording layer of a CD is is on the surface of the disc at the top. There is very little protection other than thin coats of paint, enamels, etc.

DVDs, on the other hand, have their recording layer at the center of the disc sandwiched between two polycarbonate layers. so not only is the bottom protecting the recording layer but so is the top. The reason you can use the markers on DVDs is because if they eat through the paint on the top of a DVD its not going to eat through a layer of polycarbonate plastic.

Next time you burn a bad DVD or have a scrap dvd, bend it in half a few time until you see a split in the center of the disc and you can peel the top polycarb layer from the bottom and see fragments the recording layer on in the inside of both layers.

The reason CDs and DVDs differ like this is because of the width of laser that reads the pits and lands. a DVD (single layer) has over 6 times the amount of storage that a CD has so its pits and lands must be 6 times smaller than the pits and lands of a CD to fit on a disc of the same diameter. With smaller pits and lands the lasers width must slim down to accurately read the DVD. With a thinner laser and smaller pits and lands the recording layer needs to be shallower in the disc for the laser to read accurately, so rather than having the recording layer at the top (like a CD) the recording layer is at the center.

With the age of blue lasers (Blu-Ray and HD-DVD) the pits and lands are much smaller the laser is much thinner and the recording layer is very close to lower surface of the disc. So rather than worrying about markers on our blank Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs we'll need to worry about not scratching the lower surface, cause you can kiss your Disc Doctor good bye with these formats.

I hope that helped to explain things to ya. :D

13. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@Joshewah
    my last reply didn't go through excuse the same message - thankyou for the explaining of the dvd/cd-r layer process
    you explained it so well I understand it I'm sure you could go into more tech detail so thanks for keeping it simple
    learn something new every afterdawn day, cheers

14. catfreak

catfreak Active member

. . . and KMart will have spindles of 100 Sony CD-R for $14 from Oct 28 - Nov 3

15. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

@sorrow93
    Hey, no prob. Thats what we're here for.

16. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Yes but there is no KMART in my area so I'm burning twenty 50 packs of Maxell & sixteen 50 packs of Imation (all CDR's) that I got from Office Depot about 2 weeks apart for $7 each. It'll last awhile....

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bratcher..Nice thing about the Net..U can have everything Delivered to your home,really simplifies

18. catfreak

catfreak Active member

. . . of course when you go to OD, you can recycle old printer cartridges and save $ on your discs . .

bratcher, are you having success with the Imations? I haven't used them in years because of a bad experience with them eight years or so ago. . .

I did stock up on the Maxells when they were $7 ($6.99) but I like the Sony media because quite often I make a DVD and 'tag-a-long' CD and it just looks better when they are both the same brand. I have no use for printing or LightScribing them as all I write on them is a three digit number

19. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Yep. I've done it several times with both Meritline & Supermadiastore. Got the 4x Verb white inkjet printables (DVD) from Meritline because they were cheap however the price is slowly rising. I've also bought TY silver inkjet printabl DVD's & CD's from both Meritline & Supermediastore depending on who was cheapest at the time of order.

Lately I've watched the local B&M sales for DVD & CD media. Picked up Imatation & Maxell CDR's for $7 per 50 pack from Office Depot. Went to the same place for Ritek made Mexell DVD's when they were on sale. Officemax has been good for 2 Verb DVD sales lately. I stocked up!!

20. bratcher

bratcher Active member