1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the good brands of CD-R out there?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by tcwas, Mar 5, 2006.

1. cgl88

cgl88 Member

HP, Fuji, Yamaha CDR's have been without any problems.
    Sony works well, but I've had problems reading MP3 disks for a panasonic player.

I have an important question!!! :)
    What happened to the days where CDR's were made with darker dye (versus yellow/gold/faint green)? I cannot find them and if they still exist, what brands make them? My car can only play Fuji CDR's with the dark green dye.

2. hhoppur

hhoppur Guest

hi im new afterdawn but they have helped me alot so i thought maybe this would help i have tried every name dvd media i could find in my area and the only one that worked best for me was dynex iv'e backedup over 300 backups with this brand and have not lost one disk my burnier is liteon i buy them from bestbuy dvd+r.i hope this helps someone.....

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Why on earth would you recommend DVD media in a thread titled:

. . . and, in a couple of years when those crap Dynex discs no longer play, you'll be crying the blues and wishing that you had used better discs which are almost everything else . . .

4. cgl88

cgl88 Member

For media quality, remember..you get what you pay for! Stick to brand name!

Back to my question:
    What brands of CDR's still make media with with darker dye as opposed to yellow/gold/faint green?

I know Fuji does this but not all. I don't want to buy a spindle only to end up with the faint dye version.

5. piano632

piano632 Regular member

6. hhoppur

hhoppur Guest

sorry for the confusion with the dvd and cd i was looking at so many diffrent forums i lost my place guess i'll have to leave this to the "pros" haha.

7. mord

mord Regular member

alot of the newer verbatim cds are crappy as hell...i've had alot of playback issues with them and there seems to be something wrong with the cds...like a tiny smudge or hole or something in the dye. I've also heard of other people with the same problems...i wonder why verbatim let cmc make their cds...even memorex cds works better than these haha :p

8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Memorex might sell crappy DVDs but their CDs are first rate!

9. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

I just bought 2 spindles of two different kinds of Verbatims. One was just the common 52X CD-R 50 pack found at Best Buy and the other were the Vinly Verbatims also found at Best Buy. Both CD-Rs are CMC Mag! Looks like I'm not using Verb CD-Rs anymore.

I got a 50 pack of Fuji that same day, they are MIJ by Tiayo Yuden. :) Looks like Fuji is the way to go for retail store bought CD-Rs.

I only have 12 Verbatim 16x DataLifePlus Premium AzoBlue CD-Rs left.
    I guess I'm going to save them for the most Important backups. :\
    (If anyone knows where to get some more of these rare breed, let me know)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  10. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Yep ever time I buy the Verbs cd's I get CMC.
    I'm running low on my made in Japan Fuji's (Taiyo) too but unfortunately I can't find them locally anymore.
    I'll have to start buying my cd's online too to get the Taiyo. The Maxell's I like are also hard to find.

11. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

The ones I'm running low on are the Azo DataLifePlus Verbs. I'v only seen them once in a 30 pack with fill sized Jewel cases. About 3 years ago, I still have 12 left lol. I'm using them as sparingly as possible until I can locate more, IF I can locate more. :(

Yeah, Current Verbs CD-Rs are more commonly found to be CMC, its too bad.

12. binkie7

13. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

Nice, thanks Binkie7.

If you are looking for MIJ Fuji's go to your nearest Best Buy and check them out. I work at one in Illinois and all of our Fuji 50 packs are MIJ Taiyo Yudens.

14. binkie7

Too bad I'm not closer to Illnois I'd come there and buy them!
    Around here (Maryland/DC area) I haven't been able to find any at Staples or Best Buy - check keeping - always the made in Taiwan.

15. catfreak

catfreak Active member

All the 'old stock' Fuji CD-R discs at our Best Buy and KMart are MIJ but the shelves are getting restocked with the new style wrapped Fuji MIT . . they are ProDisc which are still much better than the CMag crapola

16. mord

mord Regular member

really? i assumed it was the same like its with their dvds

again really? i thought prodiscs were the same crap as cmc mag or worse

do they still make the non cmc verbs or will all newer verbs be cmc?

17. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

Looks like all new Verbs are CMC. I got 2 new packs of different kinds (read my above post) both were CMC mag even thought eh vinyls claim to be superior.

An easy way to tell if you have good Verbs is to look for the Mitsubishi logo for the Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. MCC.

I didn't see the MCC logo on either spindle but I still bought them anyway just to see for myself.

18. catfreak

catfreak Active member

The last spindle of Verbatim CD-R that I purchased were ProDisc . . which I steadfastly maintain are much better than CMag . . and I burn tons of both DVD+R and CD-R discs . .

and BTW . . I mostly use the CD-R for SVCD, a format that is far pickier about the CD quality than audio is . .

19. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

Yeah I'm right there with you, and I back up my Dreamcast games (another peice of hardware thats picky about media.)

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Looking to buy some white face CD's does anybody know about these if they are good or so-so Disc's !Ritek White Inkjet Printable 52X CD-R Media 200 Pack in Plastic Wrap - Free Ground Shipping..$37.99
    I know Ritek DVD's are good but don't know about CD's
    http://www.supermediastore.com/rite....mc_id=060728emailhdwonly_3590_CDM01X0094-200

Are Prodisc a better CD then Ritek..They took quite a knock in the DVD department,back a year or so they were a good DVD but they changed,when they did every other burn had bad sectors.Sure was disapointed,i liked the price

Frickin CD's are as expensive as DVD's [if not more] holy hanabarbra

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2006