1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the good brands of CD-R out there?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by tcwas, Mar 5, 2006.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

catfreak..Now ya see! Thats kinda expensive for me.By the time you figure your time & gas,that well over a buck.It is a lot easier & cheaper to stay home & order over the net

2. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

@Catfreak
    What do the Memorex Black CD-Rs code out as? We have them at my Best Buy and if they are quality I'd like to pick some up. I just can't imagine Memorex making anything worth a pruchase with as much as eveyone bashing them all the time (for good reason though, CMC it terrible.) Also, are there any shortcommings to having a black bottom disc for applications other than gaming systems, like music, or PC apps?

3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

What applies to DVDs does not necessarily apply to CD-Rs. It is very easy these days to make an excellent quality CD-R, and there is very little difference between them. The darker colored CD-R dyes were cyanine or azo-cyanine dyes. The lighter colored ones are phthalocyanine, a dye that is more heat and UV light resistant than the other dyes. Just about everyone has switched to this newer dye.

There are audiophile circles that claim the Memorex black discs are the best sounding CD-Rs available. That makes them hard to find sometimes because these audiophile types scour stores and buy them up. There is nothing in physics or electronics that can support the claim of better sound, but these are the kinds of people who are willing to pay hundreds of dollars per foot of speaker cable because someone told them to.

4. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

That makes me wonder about my old 16X DataLifePlus Verbatims. The bottom is a Dark blue "AZO BLUE" and the top has a silver matte finish. I was using these to back up my Dreamcast collection. I heard that these were some of the best CD-R media not only for burn quality but also for longevity. I hope they can stand the test of time.

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Your discs will not last as long as phthalocyanine discs, but if you take care of them and don't live to be 120 years old, it won't matter. As long as they stay out of direct sunlight and high levels of heat, they should be fine for many years to come.

6. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I firmly believe that the way that a CD is stored and handled is much more crucial to it's longevity than the actual dye used in the manufacturing process . . you can have the finest disc, made with the best processes and materials available, then handle and store said disc carelessly and it won't last worth a darn . . and again, you can have an inferior disc, store it and handle it carefully and in a proper manner . . . and you will get very good service out of said disc . .

Personally, I like the Taiyo Yuden made CDs, with their funny turquoise-ish color . . I've had remarkable success with them and I'll pay any extra premium to obtain/use them . .

Just my 46¾¢ worth
    Victor

7. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

I store mine vertiacally in a binder so I should be ok.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  8. Valkerion

Valkerion Guest

Im gonna buy some new discs soon and i was wondering which of these brands you guys recomend.

Fuji
    Memorex
    Sony

These are the only brands the best buy here has so im trying to decide and not get crappy cds.

I want them for Audio and backing up my PS1 games, not PS2 or anything else, just PS1. I had some HP cds i just went through, they worked well about 60% of the time. Usally beeps and blips in audio and VERY choppy audio and picture on PS1 backups, along with having to try 10 diffrent times to start a game. I have my backed up version of Parasite Eve disc 2 on a Maxwell but i havnt seen them mentiond yet, or on the Best buy site. So any recomendations for the type of stuff i want to burn would be appreiciated.

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

In order:

1- made in Japan Fuji

2- made in Japan Fuji

3- Sony

The made in Japan Fuji discs are Taiyo Yuden, simply the finest CD media available

10. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@catfreak
    Shouldn't one of those 1 or 2's be made in Japan Maxell :)

@Valkerion
    I think the Maxell are mentioned somewhere in this thread - the cd pro's made in Japan are Taiyo Yuden - great.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Any suggestions on a desent CD RW Disc? I've got a couple of memorex left,but they give me nothing but problems [won't format,won't write,no Disc,write failed etc].Always a different problem.I like to test my finished product b4 I but it on a perm Disc

12. binkie7

@rick5446
    hmmm rw a little tougher - I have some RW Fuji's - no clue who they are made by - none off my drives fully recognize them but they have sure lasted a long time.
    Have been erased and burned to many times

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

binkie7..I've used mine for a while also.But got frustrated with most & just threw them away.Right now I'm just looking for about 10 or 12 to test my musis & vids.So you've had good luck with the Fuji,I'll give them a try.Right now I'm down to 1 Dysan,which is Ritek,this 1 seems to be reliable even though Ritek does'nt have a good rep W/CD-R

14. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Binkie . . the reason that I didn't recommend Maxell is because the choices that were listed were Fuji, Sony and Memorex . .

Personally, right now I have a bunch (550) of MaxellPro, a few (25) MIJ Fuji, and a boatload (800 or so) of Verbatim LightScribe (CMag)

Victor

15. binkie7

@rick5446
    Give the Fuji's a go. I have no clue who they are made by - manufacturer shows up as 'unknown'. Had them for awhile - so couldn't tell you if they are MIJ or MIT - I no longer have the original package.

@catfreak
    Gotcha (my bad :))

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Got any insight on ATIVA they are on sale at OfficeDepot 7.99 50pk.I was thinking of picking up a couple of pks,but don't know that much about CD qualities

17. binkie7

No insight on them but I wouldn't buy them. They may just follow that saying 'you get what you pay for' :)

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

hank You...binkie7..Hows your dog ? Mine just Died,had him for 12 yrs.Could'nt bring myself to part with him,so I had him cremated & brought him back Home

19. binkie7

So sorry to hear about your dog :( My nic is from my dog binkie who I had for 15 years. Hence the pic w/ wings :)
    I know you feel - binkie was also cremated and is on my nightstand in a decorator box.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member