1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the good brands of CD-R out there?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by tcwas, Mar 5, 2006.

1. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

Platy767 keep those results coming in mate
    the TDK XA80 audio I was told are mainly for stand-alone-burners?
    I used them years ago on a normal burner with success.
    can you shed any light?
    verbatim changed the vinyl cd-r from blue Azo to gold recently as well :(
    I emailed their vinyl-cdr website a year ago and got no reply.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hey Platy767
    Great informative table you've done!

3. piano632

piano632 Regular member

[​IMG]

The best CD-R media available - bar none. These are Taiyo Yuden discs with 3 layers of scratch protection added by Maxell. I just started using these discs for audio and the sound quality is simply stunning to say the least - even regular TY discs sound dull compared to the Maxell Pro's. Apparently the scratch protection layer they put on these must also be focusing the laser beam better. Unfortunately these Maxell's don't seem to be available outside North America. Highly recommended if you can get them. In the U.S. you can find them at Staples and various on-line stores.

4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I get the Maxell Pro's at Wal Mart . . And yes! There are none better

Victor

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

It happens I have a 100% record with these http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/P1623.html unless I have messed up with the data I'm trying to burn..

Then again all Spice Girls cd's have burned great when put on the wood burning stove.

6. cnb1703

cnb1703 Guest

I have tryed many different name brands of cd-r blank media and by far the best I have used and currently am using is Taiyo Yuden Cd-r. The only thing i dont like about them are they are REALLY SUPER thin you can see through them =(

7. coachop94

coachop94 Guest

when shopping for the fuji's look for the ones that say "archival" quality they are the ones that code out as Ty's

8. rmcgo

rmcgo Member

I am looking for printable to the center CD-R's, can anyone recommend a type. It will be for burning MP3's.

Thanks,

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

rmcgo..Pretty much all brands are printable nowadays..Look for the 1's that advertise [Hub Printable].These print all the way to the hole.

10. cgl88

cgl88 Member

Do you guys know if I can still buy CD-R media that uses a green dye and not the silver/yellow ones made with most spindle CDs? I don't want to buy a spindle only to find out it does not use this dye.

The reason I want this color is that the car cd player is picky and will only play these discs. I have only correlated 'made in japan' with the dye color but that was years ago. I am not sure if that 'rule' still applies.

11. catfreak

catfreak Active member

In the USofA you can get the CDs with the greenish dye at KMart (the made in Japan Fuji discs) or at WalMart (the MaxellPro -again, made in Japan)

They're my favorites . . .

Victor

12. bratcher

bratcher Active member

The MIJ Fugifilm CDR's have a blue bottom & are made by Tayio Yuden in Japan. They should work in your cars CD player. If not then buy a new CD/Radio unit for your car & it will play any CDR disc! My JVC Radio/CD/Cassette player does!!

13. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I just picked up a spindle of 100 Verbatim CD-R discs at Office Max for $14.99 that are one of this weeks sale items . . .

They are made by CMC Magnetics . . . even Verbatim is apparently scraping the bottom of the proverbial media barrel

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up several spindels of 25 Verbatim Colored Background LightScribe CDs and they also were made by CMC Magnetics

I'm getting tired of returning this C-Mag crap

At least a person can buy Maxell and get either ProDisc or TY both of which are vastly superior to that Verbatim CD-R rubbish

Fortunately, the 500 Verbatim DVD+R discs that I purchased at Best Buy last week were MCC-004-00 which my set top recorders just love

14. Platy767

Platy767 Regular member

Hey catfreak,
    I can only echo your sentiments about the supply of discs sold as Verbatim. I tried a few different brands (as my table above shows) before deciding on the Verbatim LightScribe. (Azo)

Unfortunately my purchase of a 30 disc spindle gave me CMC Magnetic discs. I'm not through the spindle yet and already have 5 coasters(on 2 different drives). Even stranger was 1 disc that burned OK, but did not register as a lightscribe disc when I went to burn the label. Only 1 of those so far.
    These are the last Verb CD-Rs for me. The fact I can get TY or That's labelled TY CD-Rs at the same store I bought the LightScribes at only makes me feel (and probably look) pretty silly.

15. piano632

piano632 Regular member

The only 2 known good brands of CD-R left are TY and MAM-A. But I've heard stories of people even getting bad batches of these too. I bought 3 spindles of Maxell Pro CD-R (made by TY) only to find that 1-2 discs in each spindle has scratches on it (mostly around the outer edge, but still they shouldn't be there at all).

HHB media (at least in North America) is made by MAM-A and so far seems to be as good as old Mitsui discs, so I would recommend them. These are the cheapest prices I could find on them:
    http://www.tapes.com/product_info.php?cPath=108_109&products_id=1383

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) has their gold CD-R which are reportedly (according to a German audio magazine) the best CD-R made today. They use Mitsui dye and cost $3-4 per disc and only come in 650 MB/74 min. size.

Not to be outdone, Memorex has come out with their own gold CD-R and DVD-R that cost even more ($5 per disc, for those that think it's worth it). Made by MAM-E, according to one report.

Delkin has had gold CD-R and DVD-R for some time now. Supposedly they are using Mitsui dye, but I can't find much written about the quality of these discs.

And last, but not least, Verbatim now has gold CD-R called UltraLife. No report on quality at this time.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

What is the reasoning for paying 5.00bucks for a CD or a DVD ? Kinda defeating the purpose,I feel.Does anybody do this!!

17. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I pay quite a bit more for the discs that I save pictures of my grand kids on . . . $5 isn't unreasonable to save something that is extremely valuable and irreplaceable to you . . . .

Victor

18. Platy767

Platy767 Regular member

$5 a disc - it's worth much more if I am doing a backup of data or even something like archiving photos.

For a backup of a Movie DVD or Audio Cd, maybe not.

BTW, I tried the MAM CD-Rs (at $4 Aus) for a test, but the burn results past the 60min mark surprised me. I think a bit of tinkering would be required to find the right burner/speed combo. It gets expensive at $4 a test!

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Ritek,Ty Yuden..Both DVD Disc's have extremely good track records both have 100's of millions [4,360million] in storage.Also play on 99.99999% of all players.These can be bought for $0.40cents a piece.Still can't see the reasoning in $5.00bucks.OH WELL to ea his own

20. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I like the scratch resistance of the expensive discs for valuable stuff . . . Don't get me wrong, over 90% of the DVDs that I have are TY and Verbatim . . .however, this thread is all about best CDs . . . and those are totally different . . . even the TYs can be damaged by 4 year-old granddaughters and 80 year-old mothers . . . so if I really really value something . . . well you spend the $ and you gets the good stuff (you know, just like the diggety dank)

Besides, I've been working my culo off for two-score years or so - I need to spend some to relax

Meow!
    Victor