1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question What are the suitable browsers for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by floccinaucini, Nov 14, 2018.

1. floccinaucini

floccinaucini Member

I am using Windows XP Professional - SP3. Other than Firefox, what other internet browsers are suitable for this operating system?

Thank you

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You can use the Microsoft browser, but I always used Firefox.

3. floccinaucini

floccinaucini Member

I assume you are referring to Internet Explorer. I am also using Firefox. I am looking for something more secure than IE, as a secondary browser, in addition to Firefox.

Thank you

4. aldan

aldan Active member

if you are still using xp,then i wouldnt worry about a secure browser,but rather a non secure os.chrome hasnt supported it in 2 years.dont mean to be blunt but is there a reason to be using xp here,other than stubborness.lol

5. floccinaucini

floccinaucini Member

I recently heard of a browser called 'My pal' which is supposed to be customized for XP by its developer. Does anyone in the forum know about this? Any information would be most welcome.

Thank you

6. aldan

aldan Active member

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I just stick with the branded browsers. On my PC I have IE of course because it was already there, but I also have Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari. I use different browsers to limit being tracked. For Facebook I use Chrome to piss them off, and since it is only used for Facebook they can only track themselves. I use Firefox to search DuckduckGo and stream videos and it goes like that across all my browsers.

floccinaucini likes this.
  8. aldan

aldan Active member

getting less and less options for xp.dont know what the ops reasons for staying with xp and dont really care.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes XP is past its prime but there could be a number of reasons why she's still using it. Such as she can't afford a new one and all she's using it for is email and surfing the net. Many old computers don't have enough processing power and RAM to effectively run anything higher than XP.

If she needs software she could always go to Old Versions or one of its clones to see what she can find. The biggest issue will be with vulnerability to viruses and malware.

http://www.oldversion.com/search?query=firefox

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    aldan likes this.
  10. floccinaucini

floccinaucini Member

My personal preferences are none of your business. It will be a good idea to refrain from off topic, unwanted, trashy and crude comments.

Danjumakolo likes this.
  11. aldan

aldan Active member

easily offended are we.nothing crude about it.blunt maybe.did you even bother to check out the links i posted for you?

12. omendata

omendata Regular member

Opera is now my fave browser especially if you want to use a VPN without having to load extra software!

Guardian is also another good one!

Tor Browser

Avant browser

Flock K-Meleon

Maxthon

Google Chrome Canary

I also use Netscape Browser just for the nostalgia!

floccinaucini likes this.
  13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

So you see Sherryn, there are lots of options, few that are current, but options nonetheless.

I'm still using Windows 7, on an 8 core AMD system. Neither Windows nor AMD support support the combination of my newer hardware, but I ignored them and did it nonetheless. The entire refusal of support by Microsoft and AMD, and Intel as well, is nonsense intended to force people to spend money on upgrades they don't need or want. Microsoft even made it difficult for people who like me have ignored them to update. But there are others out there who resist being forced into a box of limitations, and at least one wrote code to overcome Microsoft's Window 7 update restrictions. So if you're into old version of anything, then keep coming back to discuss it because your post is valued.

Note, that dosen't mean you shouldn't consider an update from an older system if you can't find any support for it, but it dose mean that if you find support, you should share it.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

15. omendata

omendata Regular member

Very true - have you ever noticed the load that Windows 10 puts on an older system - I put it on a Dell D630 and D830 and it was so slow it also overheated the graphics chip constantly and on the Nvidia NV325 chip that is not a good thing so Windows 10 could actually destroy your laptop completely.

I have just installed it on Core I5 Dell E5530 laptops and it also hogs the system - Installed Windows 7 on all of them and it zips along - Windows 10 is only really worthwhile if you have a top spec modern system at least Core I5/I7 Gen 3+ 8-16gb ram and an SSD for the main drive I would say!

My fave email is outlook express - yip some of us still use it so I have to dual boot Windows XP or run it in a VM although it is losing funcitonality rapidly (image preview is now defunct) so eventually all the older apps will fade and die when newer programming constructs and formats become the norm!

Sophocles likes this.
  16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I had Windows 10 for a short time because the upgrade was free and then decided it was too cluttered. I've always more less had a top tier system so for me it wasn't just about it being resource hungry. Windows 10 is in my view Microsoft's attempt at an alternative method of monetizing their product. In short Windows 10 is nothing more than spyware and adware disguised as an operating system. They're hoping to one day get everyone onto the cloud so that they can convert their standalone software into a rental system. In my view both AMD (especially AMD) and Intel made an error in judgement when they refused to make their new processors compatible with with everything below Windows 10. About a year ago hurricane Irma wiped out two hard drives and damaged the motherboard in the system I was using so I built a new Ryzen 7 1700 8 core system. Once I got all the hardware assembled and began installation of Win 7 64 bit, I saw that there was no USB support. So went to my parts museum (rather considerable) and pulled out an old Ps2 Keyboard and then easily completed the install. Other than the odd driver for things like printer I've had the system running solidly now for more than a year.

Microsoft also made it so that a system with new hardware and Windows 7 would receive any Windows 7 updates, but sadly for them so located the file in the package, and created a small application that counters it. So now I also get updates without any issue, or at least I will until the end of next year.

17. aldan

aldan Active member

wow,never noticed win10 doing that to older hardware.my wifes toshiba sattelite runs perfectly on it.bit faster than 7 even,and without the upgrade glitches.i have an amd fx 6300 overclocked and no problems there,not even the update glitches.lol.dont get me wrong,i believe it was on this forum that i slammed someone who suggested that hanging onto xp was a fools errand.i loved xp and at the time never even considered any other os.that was some time ago now.if you are running win10 on really old hardware there are tweaks to make it run better.black viper has a really good list of win10 service tweaks.after all it is usually a lack of ram or cpu that would cause slowdowns.2Old swore by tweaking.coms tweaks.bottom line as sophocles said "where there is a will there is a way"not in so many words.lol.or my personal favorite,"patience,perserverence,and a can of vasoline,you can accomplish most anything.had to clean that up a bit.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I believe the discussion was about trying to run a new operating system on an older XP PC, in my view that includes everything from Vista and up. So other than moving to Linux there aren't very many options for an old XP machine. My biggest complaints about Windows 10 is that I find it too cluttered, it's as much spyware and adware as it is operating system, and the other is a loss of some older games and software such as Beyond TV that I consider indispensable, and there are no acceptable tweaks to mitigate the issue. Beyond TV will not work as it should with windows 10, and snapstream no longer updates or sells to the consumer market. HTPC software development has pretty well ended so if you have a good application then hang onto it for as long as you can.

19. aldan

aldan Active member

ok,this about win10 on older hardware,fair enough?how bout we take the guesswork out of this and have the os post their complete pc specs.this whole thread is starting to turn into guesswork and opinion.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You can have her post her specs if you want to but if it came off the shelves with XP then the computer is anywhere from 10 to 17 years old. So it has a RAM limit of 4 gigs but is like around 2 gigs, and it's running on either P4 Prescott (a core 2 is possible but unlikely) or AMD 64 San Diego core. Neither of which I personally would recommend it run on anything higher. Now Microsoft will tell you that virtually versions of Windows will run on anything above a garden hose. But since the OP hasn't traded up yet there is probably a reason that is their's to tell. But good luck!

omendata likes this.