1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question What are the suitable browsers for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by floccinaucini, Nov 14, 2018.

1. aldan

aldan Active member

i just hate to turn down a challange.ive run quite a few xp computers on win10,but like you said,her choice.i really like fooling around with the old stuff.lol

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have a room filled with old parts that go all the way back to the 90s. I have a PII 366p in a tray only a couple of feet from me, and it still has an $89 price sticker on the inside of the pins. I recently pieced together a Q6600 system, to use to copy different old video tape formats to hard disk for conversion to DVD. I also have Q9550 EO stepping, Q9650 EO, I have the Xeon equivalent of a Q9550 also EO. I can't remember how many dual core processors I have both AMD and Intel, and don't even get me started on discussing RAM and graphics cards. So I get liking to fool around with old stuff because it's kind of hard to avoid when you a piece almost every series going back to the first Pentiums. Some I built into systems and gave away to inner city kids.

omendata likes this.
  3. aldan

aldan Active member

sometimes i really miss my phenom triple core 8650.lol.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think I have one of those which is fine with me. I really should get a couple of my Core 2 Quads going because they're adequate for the majority of uses. What I have to do is stop shopping for parts. LOL

5. aldan

aldan Active member

my wife really helps me with that one.lol

6. Ajay Dubedi

Ajay Dubedi Newbie

Opera
    Slimjet
    Midori are some of the suitable browsers for windows XP

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Generally the lesser known browsers such as Midori piggyback on the code of other browsers such as Safari. That doesn't mean they're not a good idea because they sometimes trim the code and add new features. When you're still using XP you will have to face the possibility of malware and virus threats but I would think that many of those threats are starting to disappear since the operating system is losing users. Why would hackers be interested in a yesteryear operating system considering the decreased number of users? If I was still running XP, I would look for a copy of Firefox version 52.9, because they held on for the longest before ending XP support. When searching for online information you have to take care with net recommendations, because you could be looking at a web article from 2012, and that doesn't tell you anything about 2018/19.

8. josephdfox5

josephdfox5 Newbie

The most suitable browsers for Windows XP the Firefox. The latest Firefox versions might not supportWindows XP and Vista anymore. However, this is still the best browser for slightly outdated Windows7 desktops or laptops with 4 GB RAM.

9. omendata

omendata Regular member

I just put windows xp on my IBM Netfinity 7000 M10 Server and its running quite well lol
    Most beautiful server ever made and its now in my lounge!

Attached Files:

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Why not! I still have an XP rig that I use to run older applications that I refuse to put to rest. That being said, what browser are you using? ;-)

11. omendata

omendata Regular member

Netscape Navigator what else lol

My main Desktop still runs XP along with 7, 10 and linux on quad boot!
    Those boot loaders can be quite a pain with uefi and legacy mode though¬

Found a couple of unopened OS2 Warp box sets in my IT "garage"- collectable maybe?

>;o)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I was a big fan of Netscape, which is what lead me to going with Firefox, which is the successor born of Netscape.

I have so many computer parts laying around that I have one for XP, Windows 7, Windows 10, and one with Linux Mint which I rarely use, and I still have enough parts for a few more. LOL

omendata likes this.
  13. omendata

omendata Regular member

Me too i have 11 desktops, 5 laptops, 5 main servers mostly Dell Poweredge, 1 tablet, 7 smartphones and loads of cisco routers, switches and its all networked throughout my flat - my garage even has a pc for doing engine diagnostics and playing a bit of Trance while i do my car repairs lol

Then we come to my storage and parts bays but that is another very disturbing cupboard haha
    IBM M1 keyboards - just found out they are worth over £100 and sold one last month on ebay for ~£15 duh!!!!

Yip geekxtra!

PS. Yeah Netscape was always my fave but i moved on to Maxthon for a while now stuck with Chrome and its annoying memory leaks and ram gobbling but i like Opera as well its VPN makes it worth more than Chrome at the mo!
    I use a few others Brave browser, Firefox and Vivaldi is not bad with it ad blocker - i am forever tinkering!
    Trying to reverse engineer an old Ipcam at the mo - dont you just hate these new cloud ipcams grrrrr

Attached Files:

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

almost as bad as mine.

omendata likes this.
  15. omendata

omendata Regular member

You havent seen my lounge aka Star Trek Control Bridge as my auld dear used to call it?

I never have to worry about "the wife wont let me"!

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

me neither.

omendata likes this.
  17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Same. My computer room has some how migrated to my lounge,at least for the past year anyway. I'm now in the process of getting it under control. Well that's what i tell myself hehehe

omendata likes this.
  18. omendata

omendata Regular member

Maybe we should have a "post your lounge pics...ahem computer room thread"

I wonder if anyone has a bigger monitor than my 103 inch Panasonic TH-103PF10EK Plasma middle monitor; it originally cost £51,000 but i picked it up on ebay broken for £500 and it was an easy repair just a damaged y-sus board - cost less than £5 to fix it and I now have 4 monitors in the lounge!

Bigger is better believe me when playing World Of Tanks or SWBFII or watching the footie!
    Even the girlfriend thinks a 75 inch is quite small now!
    lol

19. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Close as i can get is 55" tv which i use as a dual monitor set up with the 21 wide actual monitor. Makes reading text very easy from the couch about 10ft away

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

For a PC monitor, I stopped at a 43" 4k TV, but largely because of location. I could go larger, but that would require a whole new computer desk. What display settings are you using?