1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question What are the suitable browsers for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by floccinaucini, Nov 14, 2018.

1. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

For the tv i use native 1080 it's veon, cheap as frak however it has no bs internet or apps. It's exactly what i wanted just a tv, without the expense of add-ons i don't need. The computer is on the old side it's dell t3400 running a nvidia gt1030 low end card

Ok turns out i lied it's a 50" not a 55

I will at a later date upgrade everything depending on what happens with the fallout of covid & job losses & whether it affects my business income. For now it will do, tho that new computer is calling to me hehehe

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I was wondering about the size because I have a 43" 4k LG LED backlit TV. My settings are 3840X2160, and that comes with its own issues. If I leave it as a native setting the icons and text are too small, so I've had to go with a custom size and text setting of 200%. It works visually on the vast majority of software, but an occasional software such as the plugins for Paint.net are visually off a bit. For viewing TV, and streaming it works perfectly. The quality of a 4k stream is awesome. Because of the sizing issue, I'm not certain I'm ready to go any larger. An interesting point is that I have two PC's plugged into it, one is with Windows 7 (Nvdia GTX960) and the other Windows 10 (GTX1050). What I find interesting is that the Windows 7 rig does a better job of displaying 3840X2160 because all software appears as it should with it, than the Windows 10 rig, and yet the Win10 PC has better hardware. I really thing Microsoft should either reinstate Windows 7 as an option, or release it to open source, because Windows 10 is not an upgrade, it's a diversion.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I'm sitting here watching Firefox (54 something) eating up 3.22g of my ram.. don't care as 32g but.....

Midori would be my choice on XP .. only thing is no flashplayer support.. no html5 media player support at all on windoze... BUT.. you can get it to open say Youtube stuff in mplayer.. so consider that a dependency..

I would guess an XP machine is going to be 32 bit architecture.. which today even limits linux users to arch based distros.. (unless you fancy trying to morph Mint 17 into 19 by repo hopping) then again Manjaro is one of the sleekest OS's I have encountered... especially on a couple of ancient 32bit dual pentium laptops that are just sort of hanging around..

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yeah fox is literally a dam memory hog along with the hangs.Using cyberfox v52 (waterfox is the same) Can't remember what opera 12 was like

x64 xp is a waste of time there's no drivers for it on most machines. Which really sux. Mind you xp x32 on a dual core runs pretty good

Vivaldi isn't too shabby on later machines & i use every day. It doesn't have the extensions i like that cyber has which is a bummer as most won't run

5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

does palemoon have a windoze port?..

just been through a stack of old photobucket junk.. came across the screenshots from the days of hacking the hell out of that annoying java sidepanel (remember that thing?) .. browsers included dillo.. hmmm.. dillo.. (goes off to look for a windoze dillo port)

oh looky here.. heh heh heh

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dillo-win32/