1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what brand burner to get

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by pheezie, Mar 24, 2007.

1. pheezie

pheezie Member

I have 2 burners one is a cheap I/O Magic (DVDRW IDE 16X A089 2) works great. The other I think is a LG (HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B) its the one that came with the computer starting to make noise so I figure it’s about to go out. I have had it for a couple of years and have burned 1000's of movies so I got my money out of it.

So what I'm looking for is a good new burner that is able to make back-ups of Ps2 and 360 games also movies.

Any suggestions on what brand to get or what brand to stay away from?
    I will probably be getting it from Best Buy since I can get a discount from there so any from there would be great.

I would like to keep the price under $50

2. pheezie

pheezie Member

these are the burners I have been looking at:

Pioneer DVR-1810b5pk
    LG GSA-H42LI
    Sony DRU-830a
    Samsung SH-S183L/B OR SH-S182M

My main concern is I want to be able to burn 360 games when I get a 360 in the near future after I take care of a few other bills first. I have read a bunch of differnt forums saying that only certain burners will burn 360 backups.

3. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

If you're looking for a good burner for backing up your xbox360 games mostly,then you can go with the most recommended one which is the pioneer 111D.Some people say that any dual layer burner which can bitset DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM will work for 360 backups but if you're looking to buy a burner mostly for that,then better go with the pioneer as it works flawlessly for the games.Before i tried LG-4167B and Benq DW1650 to burn my games but got only coasters,but everything is going fine now since i got myself the pioneer 111.And if you do buy that particular model or any,don't forget to update the firmware.The one coming with the drive i think is firmware version 1.23 and you need to update it to 1.29.

Vincent.

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I use the Plextor PX-716-A for Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS2 games, and whilst the main gain in playback performance in games is the media, I would recommend it, the games play back as smoothly as the originals do, and when the disks are scanned for write errors using Plextor tools or Nero CD-DVD Speed tool the quality is near perfect.
    Main thing though is to use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim disks.