1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What cables to buy for best sound

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by 21Q, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21Q

21Q Regular member

I recently got a wireless LG home theater system for free from a family member who was going to trash it. It's only a year old but didn't play dvd's anymore and one of the speakers had stopped working. I replaced the cable for the one speaker and it was fine. As for dvd's I really don't need that feature. I just want the surround sound.

So with that said, the test came up with all the speakers working fine. But I don't get surround sound when playing it through my tv. I found this is because I am connecting to the receiver via component cables.
    The connections on the back only allow me for optical or hdmi. Which of these should I choose? Is there an advantage to either?
    And while I'm here, I can't seem to get my current hdmi cable to work between my tv and my ps3. It's worked twice, but now I can't get it to turn on. all devices are off, I turn the TV on first, then the ps3 (also tried in reverse order) but nothing. Any help there?

Last edited: May 31, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.