1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What case is the most appealing to you?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by eddie456, May 3, 2009.

1. eddie456

eddie456 Regular member

Do they happen to sell the Thermalright Ultra-120 on Newegg? I can't find it in the site.. maybe elsewhere?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Newegg haven't sold Thermalright stuff for years, I've no idea why. I usually tell people to go to NCIXUS or Performance-PCs.

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Sorry...case doors block airflow, prevent the use of drive-bay coolers, and can cause damage to optical drives. In my opinion, these are all bad things. Others may want these things to happen, I don't.

4. eddie456

eddie456 Regular member

I don't understand why people say vista is horrible.. it's been running perfectly ever since I installed it, and the security things aren't even as bad since they're not ridiculously common, I don''t see me spending more money on another OS, aka Windows 7

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Case doors only block airflow IF you try and use a front bay cooler, and for reasons I don't quite fully understand, they still don't block airflow entirely.
    Case doors never cause damage to optical drives unless you let a drive eject with the door closed, which is your own fault for being stupid. On top of that, I have made this mistake several times and it has had no impact on my drives.

6. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

case doors never decreased air flow with front case fans for the optical drives for me before. the doors don't have suctions and keep create a vacuum or anything, the air is still able to flow through the sides and openings. in some sense, yes they do block air-flow, but it seems very minimal. well, atleast for the cases i've tried out.

@eddie: yeah, i agree i have had vista for awhile, and after changing some tweeks, it works completely fine. maybe im just lucky, but all my drivers are supported in vista, and my programs work just fine. everything also looks a lot nicer, too! perhaps we are just the lucky few.

7. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Vista is downright stable with proper tweeks, but a couple of days with Windows 7 make you relaize how terrible vista realy is.

As for optical drives, they sometimes open on their own, without user input. Usualy this is an accident while using media software...but accidents do happen. The only drives that don't seem to have this issue are Plextor...but they break after a year anyway.

The only time I would use case doors is in corporate envornments, where the door is locked with a key to prevent access to the optical drive.

Perhapse I was a bit extreme in expressing my opinion on the matter...it is just my opinion based on years of personal experience. If you almost never use the optical drive, and you do not use bay coolers, then I supose there is little harm in blocking the bays.

8. eddie456

eddie456 Regular member

I haven't "tweaked" anything and it still runs perfectly. Never had one problem. Emulators and everything work just fine. I guess it only happens to people with older hardware or parts that aren't vista certified.

9. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

No, it happens on Vista certified parts too. Have you tried to tune to a channel like 13.2, 13.3, etc... with media center? Have you tried to install to a RAID array when you have jbod drives connected to the mainboard? Have you tried to copy 13,000 files at a time without disabling indexing service? Have you noticed the constant UAC warnings, even for Microsoft's recomended updates? Have you tried to download a file with internet explorer only to find you have to click the gold bar at the top to do the job? Have you tried to open the "my documents" folder without dissabling the "deny" applied to the shortcut?

I could think of about a hundred more little annoyances that were in Vista (some are still in Windows 7, but many have been removed). Microsoft even seems to think Vista is a dirty word...Windows 7 refers to the Indexing service as "the indexing service from the previous version of windows"; not "the indexing service from Windows Vista".

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Optical drives don't just open for the lulz, it only happens without input at the end of a burning process.

11. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Perhapse this is true in linux. It is not true in windows. Just yesterday DVD Shrink opened my DVD drive, and I had no disk in the drive at the time.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's never happened to me in Windows 98SE, Me, XP (2002, SP1, SP2, SP3) and Vista (H.P. x86 and Ultimate x64). The problem must be with that version of your software.

13. eddie456

eddie456 Regular member

I guess I don't have the same uses as you do...
    I have dvd shrink and that's never happened to me before.

14. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Shrink from an ISO image to burn to a disk with no disk in the drive, it will eject on you.