1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what causes narrow picture

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by new1, Jun 16, 2007.

1. new1

new1 Guest

Hi there,

I used convertxtodvd2 to convert a divx/avi file so i can burn them. However when it burned it to dvd, the picture became narrow. Everything seemed to be tall. I specified 16:9 aspect ratio, rather than 4:6. To my surprise, i think 16:9 aspect ratio has dark line on top and bottom of the tv or movie; but on my burned dvd the wierdest thing is that the dark lines/strips are on left and side of the moveie/tv. I hope u understood what i meant when i said dark line or strip. In normal tv screen the picture/video would fill up the tv screen, but with 16:9 form, you would have dark spaces/strip on top and the bottom of a picture. What happened? how can i fix this?

2. attar

attar Senior member

There are two settings in ConvertX under 'TV Format'.
    'Video Standard' = 'NTSC' for North America.
    'TV Screen' = 4:3 for a normal, standard screen and 16:9 if you have a new widescreen.
    If you select 16:9 and show the result on a 4:3 screen it will looked like it was zoomed in.
    Most modern movies are 16:9, which means that to show them on a 4:3 standard screen, they have to be letterboxed, else they don't fit properly.That is why the bars, top and bottom are on screen.
    Movies which have been modified to fit a regular 4:3 screen are butchered to fit.