1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do i need to do?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by AlexF713, Nov 30, 2008.

1. AlexF713

AlexF713 Member

Backstory: My mom gave me her old computer monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW), it is now my desktop monitor. I threw out my crt tv after getting the new monitor and bought a ATSC Tv tuner(Newegg.com - KWORLD PlusTV HD PCI 120 ATSC 120 PCI Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices ) for my computer.

Currently: I watch all the same channels i could watch on my old tv through my monitor with the same quality. But, i want MORE, i want to watch hd tv, so i tryed to make a hdtv antenna, that didn't work out for me, for some reason it isnt picking up any hd channels only sd. I have a 720p version of transformers which i forced 16:10 aspect ratio with vlc media player and it looked great.

Problem: i want hdtv but my tuner only has a coax input. However, i do have a vga to component cable with couplers, for some reason when i plug my 360 in with that vga to component cable it displays all green(something to do with RGB and YhPhRh, right?). Will the IO box do this? How can i watch hdtv through this monitor with my current setup(can i get a dvi to hdmi female adapter.)Btw, the native resolution for this 1680x1050.

One last thing: for christmas i was thinking of getting surround sound for this room assuming i get everything situated what are some suggestions for a decent set that doesnt cost too much.
    Edit- These any good(http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-540-m...8080936&sr=1-4)

2. attar

attar Senior member

Seems odd to me that the antenna isn't pulling in HD channels.
    It's basically a UHF antenna - because most of the digital signals are in the UHF band - if it can pull in analog stations then it points to something with the tuner (or software).

3. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

What software are you using to get the channels, what OS? You are using the coax cable from the antenna to the card right? Any antenna will be able to pick up HD signals if you are in range for that size of antenna you have, you don't need so-called "HD" antennas. Did they include that TotalMedia software with the Kworld card? If so, make sure you have selected to scan for Digital Antenna signals, not analog cable or analog antenna. You should be able to plug in the 360 to the screen, you might need to change the resolution on the 360, use only the component to VGA cables. The DVI input on the set is digital, not analog, so it would be compatible with HDMI with an adapter, if you have HDMI stuff to plug in. How the computer is plugged in to the set should not make a difference when it comes to the tuner card.