1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by uncleb, Feb 23, 2004.

1. uncleb

uncleb Guest

Dear Friends
    It’s down to crunch time for me. I need to make my purchases and get going. What I need (one last time) is your advice of hardware and software that has worked for you. I’d especially like it if there is someone out there with some of the specs that are similar to mine that have had good to excellent results with the products they’ve used. I’ll reiterate that I am one who does want the best results so please whatever you’ve used to achieve results you’re happy with let me know all involved. I also ask that you be as simple in your explanation as possible, for I am unfamiliar with many of the products and terms that you’ve been good enough to give me in the past. Here is the gist of my previous posts & again Thanks.

I want to be able to transfer some older family VHS & 8mm tapes to DVD and also to copy some DVD movies to DVD (Being able to duplicate the original of either so it’s hard to tell the difference). If it helps, looking at my systems properties it says that I have a AMD Anthlon™ XP 1800+ (processor), 256 megs of RAM, I use Windows 98SE, and have about 33 gigs (of 60 gig) available on my Hard Drive, a 3D fx Voodoo Banshee Display Driver, and I don’t know what else.
    Thanks for all your help
    & God Bless
    Uncle Bob

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

As was Probably Stated Before your System is Not Ideal for Video Capture..The First Problem is you have Win 98SE which has a 4gb File size Limit which is Only about 10-15 minutes worth of High Quality Full resolution AVI Video...The Next problem is you do not have enough Disk Space for Full resolution AVI Video ,When Captureing Video you should allways Capture to a seperate Fast Hard drive or risk Dropping a Lot Of Frames which can cause a Lot of Problems...If you refuse you upgrade your System then you will be relegated to captureing to a Compressed Format Like Mpeg2 which will not take up Much Less Disk Space but also will be of Lower Quality and your CPU is a Little Slow for captureing Full resolution Mpeg2 at the Highest quality...
    So untill you Do something about your System I personally can not recomend anything to you cuz right now with the way your System is you will not be able to get the Quality that you want to get From Old Hi8 and VHS Tapes....
    If you did upgrade your system then i would recomend something like the "Canopus ACEDVio" or the "Canopus ADVC-100" for Video Capture and a Good Video editing Program Like "Vegas Video 4" or "Adobe Premier Pro" or something a little easier But will do Basicly everything in one Package Like "Ulead Media Studio Pro" which has Video/Audio editing Mpeg/AC3 encodeing and DVD authoring all in the same Package......well good Luck....Cheers