1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I want?!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by dmeredith, May 25, 2010.

1. dmeredith

dmeredith Member

I'm new at this (so be gentle) ;-)

I'm looking to build my own device that can do the following, but I don't know where to look or what "product" I'm looking for. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

I want to build a PC that will do the following:

Primary Want: I want to place a dvd in the tray and have it auto rip to the HD and add itself to a media library (I have a lot of DVD's and I want to have them available via the media library), but I don't want native .VOBs..I'd like to convert to Divx or another compression format. I want to then be able to watch the movies on my TV or computers on my home network. I know there are several products out there...I'm looking for a complete solution..all in one box.

It would be cool if: I could play youtube videos, surf the web.

I don't care about: Mp3's/music, Pictures, TV Guides, recording TV

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the advise!

2. 1bonehead

1bonehead Guest

3. 1bonehead

1bonehead Guest

double post, soz

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

any computer with a dvd drive and the right software can do what you want.some software have an autorip rip feature which is what you want.most dvd software is capable of ripping dvds to the harddrive just depedns whether you want 1 click, a few clicks or autorip.to view your computer on a tv you should use HDMI cables to connect your computer to your tv or with older computers some have a video out so you can connect the computer to your tv.

5. Wonno

Wonno Member

Though I have not used the function Handbrake has the option to select a DVD as the video source. All you would need to do then is select your preferences (save directory, video codecs, etc.) add it to the presets so you can use it again and hit encode.

If you are building a HTPC I would recommend buying an ASUS EAH4350 Silent video card as it can output video and audio through hdmi, it handles encoding/decoding on the GPU so relieves power from the CPU, it has no fan so it is cool but quiet, and they are very cheap as far as video cards go.

If you want to stream your videos to all of the devices in your home network, I would recommend something like TVersity.