1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you look for when buying a HD TV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by zelda64, Dec 13, 2005.

1. zelda64

zelda64 Regular member

I will soon be buying an Xbox 360 and a HD TV is needed to get the most out of the new technology. I want to buy the best quality HD ready TV for the best posible price. I will be happy with a HD TV that goes up to 720p so the TV will be a cheaper price. If anyone can give any advice in this matter it will be much appriciated.

2. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

720p and 1080i roughly cost the same...Your first step in buying an HD television is deciding on what kind you want. Do you want lcd/plasma/dlp or crt...Then we could give you better insight.

3. zelda64

zelda64 Regular member

I want an LCD HD TV of good quality for the best possible price. 1080 and 720 might be around the same price but if 720 is cheaper then I will buy that version. I heard Samsung, Sony, Philips and Panasonic are the best makes.

4. DrSiD202

DrSiD202 Guest

you already know the absolute brightest images come from lcd or plasma. You also know that these 2 options are a little more than pricey. Take into consideration the DLP with the 2nd Gen Chip. It took me several months to decide on a tv. I decided that I would need something bright enough for my living room cause there are several windows in there. I thought there was no way a projection TV would be bright enough untill I saw the new DLP's. I picked up the latest Samsung 52"(best bang for the buck by far)720p, 1080i, I use it as a second monitor now to watch movies and gaming. Get this, this is what sold me: no burn in image with dlp, unlike the traditional projections, lcd's, & plasmas that burn the image in the screen when its left on too long.

Price them on ConsumerGuide.com you can save a bundle if you can wait for a delivery. I hurried out and got one at Frys, bitched & moaned until the manager would do a price match(witch they should do anyway but they make a BIG DEAL about::eek:fftopic there).

5. zelda64

zelda64 Regular member

Thank you for that advice but there is somthing else I forgot to mention. I want a Tv thats about 20-25 inches and I dont want it to dominate the room so LCD is the option I would like to take so I can stick it on the wall.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

DrSiD202, the only technologies that are subject to burn-in are the CRT and the Plasma technologies. LCD isn't subject to burn-in.

7. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I got an RCA 52" widescreen HDTV for $969 a year and a half ago. It's in my living room, and, now, I can't bear to watch the 36" in the bedroom anymore!!! It's not slim and sexy, but it's not the behemoth of, say, 5 years ago either... Now that's some bang for the buck

8. zelda64

zelda64 Regular member

Ok. Does anyone know what LCD HD TV 20-25 inches to get that is good quality but also a good price? What exactly do you look for when shopping for these TV's?

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Well how much are you trying to spend? You get what you pay for! The best names are Sharp, Samsung, and Sony. In that line-up I think Samsung gives you the most bang for your buck. But they are all over $1,000 for a 26".

Ced

10. zelda64

zelda64 Regular member

well i dont know if you guys live in Australia but what I was looking to spend was about $1200 aus dollars, which is about $900 US dollars. I dont want anything as big as 26inches. A nice size would be 22inches to 24. Would you know the best model and make to get for that money?

11. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

I just picked up a 32" Kolin Syntax...Beautiful picture

[​IMG]

Very good pictures on television and movies...My only complaint is that on gaming on certain games it looks really fuzzy..Especially when I am playing the gamecube...I am not sure why this does this but I heard it isnt just the set and is a big problem for LCD televisions in general...Anyone wish to confirm this???...The reason I ask is that I have seen an xbox 360 played on an LCD and it looks great but when a system is connected via standard composite or standard components it gives a blurry picture...Either way the quality on certain games isnt that great...

12. zelda64

zelda64 Regular member

Its down to the refresh rate of the TV. LCD have a low refresh rate compared to CRT. However there are PC monitors that are LCD that now be LCD in terms of refresh rate so there are probably TV's out now with as higher refesh rate.

13. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

My television has a refresh rate of 8ms...low enough not for that to occur and besides you are talking about ghosting...It is just awkward the 360 and say the regular nintendo and even SNES play fine and look good...But hooking up a console of this gen they look fuzzy...It's ridiculous but it just isnt my television it does this on many LCD televisions....

14. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The problem lies with the composite video technology being used. Composite video doesn't have enough bandwith to handel todays video requirements. That is why S-Video was developed. Component Video is the only connection that doesn't require extra proccessing to de-multiplex the video signal. Each signal is carried on its own cable. Luminance (Gray Scale), Red, and Blue.

The 360 uses Component Video while the current gen systems use primarily Composite video. The older systems used primarily RF over Coax which carries a Composite Video signal and a Mono audio signal multiplexed into one signal on the same Radio Frequency.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2005
  15. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

Component cables for the cube run 40 bucks *ouch*...I just sold my Xbox as it looked like crap couldnt stand the jagged edges...

16. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Two things,

Did you set the xBox to output a 480p image? A progressive scan image isn't supposes to have any "stair stepping jaggies."

Was the sharpness of your set tunrned down all the way? Its suppose to when useing Component or better.

Ced

17. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

I went into the Xbox Dashboard and turned 480p/720p/1080i all on...But haha no I didnt know about that with component cables...Does that stand for dvd/tv as well???

I will give it a try after bit and see if the problem is still their...My ps2 does the same so I will give it a try...

18. zelda64

zelda64 Regular member

[bold]c2sellit1[/bold] are you talking about the xbox 360?

So can anyone tell me what model and make of HD TV I can get for around $1200 Australian or $900 US dollars. I want it to be 22-24 inches, LCD, 720p and as best quality for the price.

19. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

No the standard Xbox...The 360 looks great...

Viewsonic and Samsung makes awesome LCD sets...So far I like my Kolin Syntax a lot it isnt a name brand but the panels come from LG or Philips and the company has been around since 1963. But I think for gaming Viewsonic offers the best picture...

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes. It is important to do two things on any video source device when switching to a wide screen HD set from a analog 4:3 set.

1) Set your DVD player/Digital TV receiver to output a 16:9 signal instead of a 4:3 signal

and

2) Set the DVD player/Digital TV receiver to output a Progressive scan image instead of an Interlaced signal

- Switch your DVD player to 480p (if its an up convertion DVD player go to the next point)

- Switch your Upconversion-DVD player or HD receiver to the TVs "native resolution" (either 720P or 1080i)

Ced