1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you love & hate about the country where you live?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by pulsar, Nov 8, 2004.

1. pulsar

pulsar Active member

OK guys, how about this one? I live in the UK, I was born in Scotland but was raised & live in England. What do I love about Britain? I love that I live in a democracy (there are many would argue that point!), I love where I live in the Yorkshire Dales, it is stunningly beautiful & I get to drive round it in my Royal Mail van emptying all of the pillar boxes all over the countryside, I love that I have a nice warm cosy flat & eat well (sounds daft but I think that if you have food, shelter & a warm bed you really shouldn't complain!). I love & am extremely proud of what British inventors & industry has brought to the whole world.
    What I hate about this country is the fact that we have a system whereby the politicians constantly screw us over spouting the same tired rhetoric. Telling us how we should live our lives, completely fusking up the Education system with their constant interfering & telling teachers how to do there jobs, setting targets for all concerned. If I want to build a bridge I will take the advice of Engineers, not a complete fusking half-wit politician who doesn't know his arse from his fusking elbow. Leave the teachers alone. While I am complaining, why does our society never appreciate the people who run the country? I was a Mechanical Engineer for 17yrs, boy, do you get treated like shit! The worst offenders are receptionists, they look down their nose at you like you climbed out of a god damn cess pool. It's different when they want you to change the tyre for them at the side of the road! (Bite my hairy arse bitches) Why don't we pay our nurses & teachers properly? Why do all the highly paid (with large expense accounts to boot!) go to these complete dickheads who haven't got a frigging clue about anything?! Why do politicians completely fusk everything up that they touch? Do they have to have gone to the College of Complete No-Hopers & attained a degree in "Being an A Grade Twat".
    Apart from that Britain isn't too bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. SirFrench

SirFrench Member

[bold]What i love about my country (UK):[/bold]
    I love the beauty of our countryside, and the way the weather changes so radically.
    I love the culture, the pie chips and peas.
    I love the fact that I can say i'm British, and people don't turn their noses up at me.
    I love the friendly attitude of older people you don't know, the "good morning" as i walk to work.
    I love the way we love dogs in this country.
    I love how people can drive two miles to the seaside and call it a holiday.
    I love our arcithecture, our museums and galleries
    I love the way we preserve our heritage

[bold]What i hate about my country (UK):[/bold]
    I hate the attitudes that are becoming so frequent in our young society, the "I'll sue..", The "You're racist...".
    I hate the fact that when i was a kid, we never locked the door to our house and nothing ever got stolen - we cant anymore.
    I hate the fact that we no longer know everyone on our street by their first names.
    I hate that nobody understands that this country has a lot to be proud of.
    I hate that our soldiers are under equipped, under paid, and are giving their lives for their country, yet they never ask for a pay rise, nor do they get one.
    I hate the incessant greed of some people.
    I hate the way that people portray particular areas of our country to be bad - It's not the area it's the people.
    I hate the fact that our government are liars, cheats and theives.
    I hate that a man driving 10mph over the speed limit gets a custodial sentence, and the rapist and murderer serve their sentences in the community.
    I hate the terrestial tv channels - soaps soaps soaps! YUK!
    I hate the fact that house prices are so high, i cannot buy a house for my family.
    I hate that inflation goes quicker than pay rises.
    I hate the gun toting, smart mouthed youth from the end of the street that thinks he's a bad ass - He wouldn't be so bad with a bayonet in his ribs.
    I hate that no-one respects our police force/laws.
    I hate that i'll probably need to edit this a hundred times as i think of things! lol

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

doesn't matter where you live whether uk, usa, canada, iraq, pakistan or where ever, each has it's good points & bad points but it all involves humans,take out the humans everything would be equal

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

SirFrench, spot on. ddp don't you have ANY gripes??!!

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

we all have gripes but they are all the same no matter what country or continent you live on

6. SirFrench

SirFrench Member

I agree with that to some extent, a lot of gripes will be the same, but i don't think that gripes can be a blanket response from everyone. different countries have different cultres, therefore resulting in different gripes.
    Also i daresay that less wealthy countries have different gripes due to the attitudes of the indigenous people.

7. john179

john179 Active member

Love's
    Man Utd
    Family
    British Beer
    Hate
    Arsenal,Man City,Leeds,Liverpool
    Paying to much tax
    The weather
    The minority of the youths in are country who believe we owe them a living and is ok for them to be thugs.When i say this the majority of youths i like just the odd balls.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Northern Ireland

Hate the inbuilt sectarian hatred in some of our population, based on nothing more than disliking the religion we practice. Its a disgrace...I hate bigots

9. regor

regor Regular member

USA
    These are just a few of my favorite things (not necessarily in order of importance)...
    -Freedom - worship, opinion, speech, etc.
    -Climatic zones - ok enuf - California, short sleeve shirts all year round.
    -Raw oysters, sourdough french bread, and a pint of bitter beer. Oh yeah!
    -Humor, laughing and more of it!
    -Lake Tahoe
    -My grandson (and I'm only 47)
    -All my kids (3) are grown (hahahahaha)

Dislikes...
    -Oppression, even in a prosperous country like this, and a lot of it!!!
    -The electoral college voting system - popular vote counts nothing!
    -Daylight Standard Time!
    -The lottery - yeah right, the schools win (NOT)
    -Where all the used cigarette butts, car brake lining and tire dust goes... into the eco system :(

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

usa
    living near Best Buy to get techno-goodies.

dislikes:
    being swamped by salesdudes every time i go in Best Buy.

and i hold a lot of Regor's stuff, too.

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

What I love about the US:

-I get to live in sunny beatiful LA, So. California.
    -Drive on the RIGHT side of the road
    -use inches, not meters
    -live only 4 hours from Vegas
    -I have The Terminator as a governer

What I hate about the US:

-I have to tolerate Bush for another 4 years
    -prostitution still isn't legal
    -social security will run out by the time I retire
    -lausd (public school) system is a joke (no wonder why we have so many delinquents)
    -no autobaun

12. teggy

teggy Regular member

I live in the UK, Northern Ireland to be exact. It really truly sucks nuggets. What I like is the talent at the university near where I work. Brightens my mornings right up!

I wanna move to England for reasons of personal revenge... muwhohahahaha, I guess that sounds a bit odd but meh, well I don't have revenge to get. I just wanna see this person again *cries*. Anyways, tell me good things about england ppl, except for getting to go to the theatre of dreams each week.

13. Drifty

Drifty Member

I live in Aussie and it rocks!!

Being able to wear tshirt, shorts, & thongs all year round
    awsome roads to get my kneedown on my bike >:D
    Best beer in the world!
    EVERYTHING!!!

Dislikes:
    .......nothing really :)

14. teggy

teggy Regular member

I agree totally with Oriphus there, in this country that is all that we have. Only in select areas is it not so Bad, where I work for example in south belfast. Up in s. belfast it isn't as evident as it is full of different cultures, religions & races. It isn't as evident but it's there.

In each town or area there is an influence of sectarianism. I myself live in one of these areas and can barely leave the house at night without suffering some form of abuse from ppl I used to call friends, as soon as they all grow up they change... despite being friends for 5 years!

That is the biggest problem we suffer over here, nothing gets done due to stupid politicians who are just as bad as the youth and community who support such ways of life.

15. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

you forgeting someone?? what about little johnny howard?? surely you cant like that little stuttering germ. i sure as hell didnt vote for him :/

16. zippyd

zippyd Active member

[​IMG]

I think this says it all........

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

ok, now i really am going to europe.

18. billwebso

billwebso Guest

what your ladies wear white panties and ours wear black? what's wrong with that?

19. regor

regor Regular member

no, they both ho's, just one's sloppy fat -hehe

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

REGOR! YOU'RE ALIVE! *wipes forehead* whew...we were all worried about you!