1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you love & hate about the country where you live?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by pulsar, Nov 8, 2004.

1. regor

regor Regular member

I never left, i was simply hibernating :)

I still say you should have written your paper on corn!

btw - I'm going back to school... taking harmonica lessons, starting April. Never too late to further your education :)

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

lol, too bad you reminded me too late. i'm doing another research paper now, and this one is on ghosts.

good to see you back in school...mehopes to hear an mp3 of your playing soon.

3. regor

regor Regular member

shucks... get it? SHUCKS!

shucking corn, get it? man.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you're a laugh and a half, regor :)

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Auslander, do your paper on the ghost of regor who came back to ad

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

*strokes chin* i just may

7. regor

regor Regular member

hey, that was pretty funny ddp...

:)

8. ddp

i thought so & i think Auslander is thinking about it too, so he might do a paper about you suggested by me so we'll both be referenced in his paper if he does it right

9. regor

regor Regular member

what I really think Auslander should do, ddp, is write his paper on corn, throw in a few shuck and jive, reference you and me as contribotors, have dear kitty orate it to the entire class (not just you Auslander :) and have it set to harmonica music.

There, you have it, an eeeerie AAAA

10. ddp

regor, you must be a corny individual than

11. regor

regor Regular member

12. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Oh God.. I could go on and on about how I hate this new country of mine, named Canada. Y'see, not to tell you my whole life story but I've been forced to move from England to Canada 2 years ago, after living in England for 7 years. So basically I grew up there, and I lost pretty much everything when I came to Canada. And yes, this is just like a corny film. I had a lot of close friends, I cared about them, vice versa. Made a lot of new friends over here though, but only one or two close friends. Enough about me. Let's start with the hating.

Let me tell you, moving to Canada has opened my eyes and I do not like what I see. Hell no siree Bob I do not like what I see.

What I see is Sluttyland, Wankerville and Pricktown. I see racial barriers split RIGHT down in the middle of a school cafeteria lunch period. I see everyone acknowledging this and treating it as a natural thing. Don't know about you Canadians, but in England we call this racism. Yet everyone here accepts it here.

I could go on and on about how insane things are over here. But who am I kidding? A more polite word would be "it's different over here." I firmly believe the Canadian education system is bullshit (or at least the highschool I'm in). And hey, who the hell cares right? It's a bullshit system for bullshit people! Bullshit system for Pricktown!

You might be asking why I think the Canadian school system is bullshit. Well... there are three types of people at my school:

1. Pardon the racism here, but white kids don't study, smoke weed, drink beer and have sex. Good stuff? Definitely. Good people? Errr... I'll get back to you on that.
    2. Chinese kids study 24/7, go on their computers and "^^ bakahead" until 3:00AM
    3. Fobs (Basically people fresh off from Hong Kong) dye their hair and have a trailer of dyed hair high pitched "OMG I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!!!!" girls behind them.

Now I ask these guys... why the hell they do it. Why the hell they study so hard, GET STRESSED, to get a job which they don't enjoy. Don't deny it, when you get up those 51 floors and go into your big air conditioning office, most of those workers are not happy. So what's so bullshit about this system? It's the fact that they are asking us to choose are future at Grade 10. THAT IS OUR FUTURE RIGHT THERE, WHETHER WE MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO SURVIVE IN THIS WORLD OR NOT. And to get a job where we're not happy. And the white guys are still drinking their lives away. Seriously, Canada is going to become the next China.

With the racist barriers, they don't apply to me (since I'm Chinese and have a British accent), but it BREAKS my heart to see this barrier. And that is the world's future. That is Canada's future.

These are the kind of people I am going to be living my life with. And I'm thinking right here, there ain't gonna be too many geniune, good honest people anymore. You know.. one day I want to write a book about the problems of the world. It's going to be as thick as the Bible.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Regor, that is a brilliant and stupendous idea that i might actually use :)

Toiletman,that was nice imagery at the end of your post, using the bible like that. one of those things that makes you think. at least you don't have too many rapper-wannabes up there, though :)

14. ddp

Toiletman, are you in toronto & if so what part of the city??

15. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Toronto, Markham. Huge Chinese population and very wealthy area, maybe that has something to do with it.

Auslander, yay for imagery! =D I mean no offense though, it is just a figure of speech.

16. ddp

markham is on the north side of toronto as i live in TO for 16yrs & worked there for about 20yrs. i'm just south of barrie in innisfil

17. regor

regor Regular member

hmmmm.... this is sad, Toiletman. Although it may seem imprudent for me to even suggest but I will take the risk to ask that you rise to the occasion, overcome the obvious opression that exists in your 'now'... remember the 'good times' of your 'when' (I hope you had them) and look forward to your 'future'.

I know you don't want to hear this, and it isn't everywhere in the USA, but I can emphatically tell you that my kids (Silicon Valley raised) did NOT encounter the plight you describe, AT ALL. Nothing like you describe.

I have 3 children, 27, 23 and 19 of which the 19 year old just recently graduated from the same high school that his siblings graduated - what you describe wasn't ever brought to this dad's awareness so I assume (may be incorrect) that it isn't an issue and if it were it certainly isn't pronounced in the community.

Is what you describe known/realized by the community, parents, officials, others that care?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  18. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Everyone who's lived there knows it, and they acknowledge it because it's been natural all their life. Tis strange.

But yes, I am only slightly depressed in my situation, but I HAVE tried to change it, just not very successful =D (I am an insensitive person)

Y'see, I think the problem is we have a huge chinese population here, more than the white population, and that attracts these "Fobs". Not to be racist or crude, but if they disappeared the world would be a better place. They are simply the jerks of the asian population.

And of course, this has led to a bad view and attitude of the Chinese from the white population, therefore creating these very barriers that disgusts me. So yeah regor, it may be an unique problem.

And the school system is bullshit. I'm not very familiar from Canadian politics but basically what the new party (Conservatives I think) did was cut a lot of funding from school yet concentrate on the Maths and Sciences and cut an extra year of highschool, therefore we choose our courses that practically dictate our future a year earlier.

So now we have courses with 40+ students, and a whole less year of highschool. And rather than look after every student, and every level of learning (whether you learn slowly, quickly, you need more explanation, etc.), a cut-throat bar has been set, and if you fall behind, and aren't left-brained, and aren't a semi-genius, you get left behind. I don't know anyone who enjoys school anymore. Some might say yay, but really, it's nay for me.

Now I don't blame the teachers too much, they have gotten the shaft from the curriculum as well, and they simply do not have enough time to care. So why the hell should I care? Well... because I have to if I want to get a job which I will probably not enjoy, get stressed, come home for work, maybe start a family, get more stressed, grow old and miserable, and die. =D

19. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Auslander, you can do a paper on Ghosts (less political than the above) as long as you don't start singing..

Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers

Oh my love, my darling
    I’ve hungered for your touch
    A long lonely time
    Time goes by so slowly
    And time can do so much
    Are you still mine?
    I need your love, I need your love
    God speed your love to me

Lonely mountains gaze at the stars at the stars
    Waiting for the dawn of the day
    All alone I gaze at the stars at the stars
    Dreaming of my love far away

Oh my love, my darling
    I’ve hungered for your touch
    A long lonely time
    Time goes by so slowly
    And time can do so much
    Are you still mine?
    I need your love, I need your love
    God speed your love to me

Just drives me mad - then I start crying.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

oh, it's not ghosts anymore...now it's Atlantis :) i'm going to prove it was in the South China Sea.