1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do You Think Of This Olevia Brand TV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by TruthIs1, Nov 21, 2006.

1. TruthIs1

TruthIs1 Member

I'm looking to upgrade on a budget. Right now, I have a 5 year old 32" stereo TV. It is Huge and weighs a ton. I also have a 7 year old 21" CRT monitor which is a monster also. They're taking over my studio apt. So, I would like to get an HD LCD.

I've looked at a couple of Olevia tv's at local stores and some looked better at one store than another. Do you know why that could be? (they were the same size, different models,though)

None of my local stores carries the model TV I'm interested in. That worries me because I would like to see the picture quality before I buy even though I was happy with the othe models.

So, what do you think? I know it's not top shelf, but is better than what I have now? Is it a reputable brand? Do the last a while?

Here it is http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?&scriteria=AA51800

It's the 537H
    Sorry for the long post.

2. TruthIs1

TruthIs1 Member

So, no one has an opinion?

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i wouldn't buy it. you get what you pay for basically so its up to you. the better brands out there are Sony and Samsung. Sharps an pretty good budget brand

4. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I just bought a cheap 23" (323v) to use as a monitor and gaming. I get it on the 29th. I'll let you know what I think then.

5. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

So here I am on my Olevia 323v. I am using it as a computer monitor and gaming set. Here is my experience so far: Nice, bright picture, several ways to adjust the set and picture quality. I had to turn up the sharpness, almost all the way, to clean up mild blurriness of text when using the computer but now it is nice and clear. I set my video card to 1360x768 (virtually the native resolution of the set) and the Olevia to 1:1 for the VGA input and there is no need to stretch the screen or distortion of web pages, pics, files etc. I am able to set preferences for individual inputs. So far I have only peeked at SD T.V. through an RF connection as this is not the main purpose of this set for me. As expected it is not great. The set is small enough that if you are a few feet away the lesser quality SD is not as noticeable. I do not doubt that HDcable through HDMI would look great on this small set. A note on the connections: there is one ACTUAL component cable input and one VGA input which they are calling a second component input, along with one HDMI, and one composite/S-video. No ghosting or streaking with gaming either, although I haven't had any marathon sessions yet! Interestingly, when I registered the set with olevia there is confirmation of the model number/firmware,etc, stating that it is an olevia set with a Samsung panel. Could this be a value priced Samsung? I know that Samsung also makes a 23" set but I have no idea if these sets are related.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

ChiknLitl , whats the respone time on this set?

and let us know how your frame rates are gaming

7. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Response time is 8ms. I'm not sure how to check frame rates (does that depend on the screen?) during games (Doh!), card is set to 60hz if that helps. I have a Wii and PS2 hooked up so far, I use an N64 emulator (PJ64) runs at 60fps with all enhancements turned on. I don't play many CPU games, my big screen was making me motion sick with the consoles so I had to opt for the smaller screen for games. Sooner or later I'll pick up a 360 and see what it looks like on this set.

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

and man i am pissed about our set (Sony SXRD 60") being 700.00 less expensive lol

9. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Yeah, that absolutely steams my buns! They would only first 30 days, believe me I tried to talk them into giving me some of the difference! No luck! LOL.

BTW, The speakers on the Olevia 323v kinda suck, very "tinny" (like someone talking into a tin can). I turned the treble all the way down and bass all the way up and it evened it out. Best bet would be to hook it up to a reciever or 2.1 powered computer speakers, which is possible with this set.