1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does it mean to "unlock" a phone ?

Discussion in 'Samsung discussion' started by 16shots, Feb 21, 2008.

1. 16shots

16shots Member

and what do i need to do to unlock my Samsung SGH-a437

and is there a way to get free internet and texting somehow on there ?

2. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

Not sure but I know on my phone certain things like ringtones are locked by my cellphone company. I have to use and pay for their ringtones instead of being able to make my own.

3. DVDRyaN

DVDRyaN Member

Guys unlocking a phone has nothing to do with getting free stuff. Most carriers like cingular and T-mobile lock their phones to their network with a code so you can not use a foreign SIM card. (As they want you to use their service). But recent laws state the owner (under certain conditions) may have the right to that code. Basically if you have a T-mobile phone for example, you will not be able to access your cingular or whatever other foreign SIM card in it without the code specific to that phone. It's completely LEGAL and safe.

4. salami1

salami1 Guest

Unlocking is only done on a phone and also has nothing to do with a pincode on your simcard (just to be clear)

There are a couple different locks but in general 2 are important:
    - phone lock. You can ONLY use the simcard that came with the phone
    - network lock. You can ONLY use simcards from the same network (operator) in the phone.

With best regards,
    Steven