1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does it take to become a AfterDawn Addict ?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by rdmercer1, Apr 15, 2007.

1. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

if that were the way it happened there would only be a handful of addicts IMO.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

How about one of you writer boys *stares at Lethal and Dvdback* checks with the admins, to see if they are ok with a short piece that requests that more people hit the report button when they see something on the site that's against the rules, and if they say yes, post it in the news for all to see?
    *runs back to work*

3. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

ill see what i can do dan.

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

/me comes stumbling in from long day

Ah, now that reply is a sight for sore eyes :)

/me walks off to get a nice, cold, tall glas of Murphy's Irish Red

5. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

Constant bashing of the console forums have made me sad[​IMG]. I know that it is probably the most uncivilized, demeaning forum on this site, with all the newbies posting "OMG hw do i atuo aim battel rife in HAlo 2l11!!" or to something of that extent or nature, but regardless of that, I admit that I am a console senior. I don't consider myself to be a little kiddie who spams to get his post count up (even though I am still a young teenager). I won't even post on threads that I can't completely help someone with. I'm hoping to obtain addict status by the end of the summer, and I think I will have earned it.

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

If you have problems about the peoples attitude in those forum rooms just stay out. I remember going in there once and reading a thread and saying to myself this is not the place for me. If they need help but keep fighting amongst themselves let them do that, mods will take care of it if u hit the report button.

As for getting to addict status well all i can say it will take time.

7. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

I actually enjoy it in there though. I didn't come to afterdawn for help, I just like helping other people in my area of semi-expertise, which would be xbox.

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Thats good to hear all i mean by saying what i did before is if its starting to get out of hand report the person and dont get involved in the games in there. Its not worth it. Just help where u can and when u see it move in another direction that is not correct just report and enjoy the show as i say to see when the mod comes in and deals with it :)

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

as an addict, you should really try to develop more than one area of expertise.

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Very true Aus.. I think that's part of the trouble in the console forums.. There are psp addicts who know nothing at all about anything but psp. Not even how to write a coherent sentence.

I feel a bit sorry for some of them as soon as they get a basic (I mean by that one we average seniors could do long before we joined AD) pc problem and ask a real n00b question.. I like the way they get the kind of "RTFM.. you are supposed to know how google works by now" and often get abusive about it. Hell.. If I don't know something I look it up.. If I can't find anything at all after a few days I may ask for ideas..(because lets face it.. If I don't know it, and nothing is forthcoming from google then chances are there isn't a standard answer.. or it's a strange bug that nobody else has ever reported).. not a picture guide, or a video.. I can read and understand..and a link or 5 is fine.. I can read for myself and see what matches the things I'm experiencing. another core skill I'd assume an addict should have.
    Willingness to help... An addict should be prepared in some cases to attempt to help, even if they have no direct experience of the problem.. I like to learn, and use my google finding skills to answer the question.. Teach and Learn is the term I'm looking for...BUT.. and here is the clincher... only on threads that have either had no answer in a reasonable time, or one where bad/misleading/potentially damaging/dangerous information is being dished out by people with no real grasp of the problem or issues.. There have been a spate of disk swap ps1 (achieve nothing but wreck your disks and ps1.. gain nothing) tutorials.. Now I post a stock set of comments about the risks to disks and equipment.. let them call be an idiot and then report them. I was modding and hacking the ps1 while most of 'em were wearing nappies. I have site admins of ps1 modding sites as members of my forums.. so what do these "play backups by swapping the original disk with a backup while the disk is still spinning!!" kids really understand... not very much. There must be one of these every couple of weeks.. a few have even been as blatant as a cut/paste of a previous "guide"... always from a newbie, and always the same bad info.
    The responsibility of an addict is to behave as a technical troubleshooter, pruning the rubbish and ensuring that only correct information, which isn't likely to involve risk of harm or damage is posted. It's not a popularity contest.. It's about having a site full of good and reliable information, where newbies don't feel the need to post anything.. I was a member for quite a while before I posted anything at all.. AD was an information source, like I still use cd-freaks. I think there are more people sent me pm's there than I have made posts..

Sorry for rambling on.. I just felt like having some more input seeing as my post count is getting close to 3000. Unlike xxteakxx I don't have any timescale for making addict, in fact I don't care about that title at all.. I like senior.. with age comes wisdom and knowledge. Only the over 40's will truly understand what I mean by that.. no offence to the young un's

Now where did I leave me stick and teeth............

11. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Without commenting whole of this thread, I'd like to participate on couple of topics discussed:

1) Yes, I agree, we should get people to use the "report" button more often.

2) I sorta disagree with jan & aus about "being responsible for widening your area of expertise. IMO, I'd love to have a guy as a regular on our forum who can hit a X360 with a sledgehammer and have his eyes blindfolded and build it back using only an IKEA tool as an assistance -- as compared to have tons of guys as members, who know little bit of this and little bit of that and can help only with the most basic questions. I think you English-speakers have a phrase for this, that goes something like "Jack of all trades, master of none". This is to say that our coverage of things on forums is so wide nowadays that its sometimes better to focus on just one forum room and be helpful there, because your knowledge of the topic grows rapidly once you focus only on that area and your help will become even more valuable for other users. But, as always, the most important thing is to be helpful and willing to share your knowledge, whether you're expert in your area or know some basic things, but still think that the person in need of an answer would benefit from your knowdledge.

3) From what I see on our support system, the PMs I (and rest of the admins & support team) receive, alongside the "hAxx0RR kiddie$" the major problem on our forums seem to be a certain attitude problem of some more senior members. Basically this comes to reality in cases where a new user posts a question, without knowing exactly whether it has been asked before or whether not knowing that he/she is posting in the wrong forum or -- in some cases, violating our rules. Now, the correct solution is simply to click the "report" button and let mods handle it. But instead, such post gets quickly 3-10 posts basically bashing the guy or having useless comments like "MUHAHAA, REPORTED, YOU'RE GOING DOWN!".. Now, if you have reported the post, its up to mods to decide whether anyone is "going down" or not and even in those cases, mods don't need to comment on such thread, but simply handle the situation (ban or temp ban, the user sees the reason when they try to log in with a banned account), close or hide the thread and that's it. Useless comments create hostile environment for new users -- and all of you have been new users in the past, no matter what your status now is. And if your questions would have been discredited originally, you would have probably left and found some other site instead. So, please, even Seniors, before posting a comment to a thread, where you aren't offering a solution to a question, think twice whether the post is actually needed -- and if you think the post you're replying to, shouldn't be at aD, simply report it to mods and leave it, its mods' job to handle situations like that.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  12. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Thank you. I was bashed by a senior when new and it wasn't a pleasant experience, and as you say went elsewhere. When I post here now I'm very carefully what I say and where I say it, and if certain people turn up I'm off. What I find particularly unpleasant is the 'Wolves chew on this' which sometimes turns up on the safety valve - it just seems to degrade the people involved...

13. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

@ creaky, if the vote thingy was implemented (re-) would i be accepted as an addict :D

but then again i suppose i would then need to accept and state that i have a problem, then the 12 steps then il needt o start cutting back <o_O>

14. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

It took me the best part of a year to achieve member status. wot's in a title anyway??? Unless you are the be all and end all of knowledge on everything, are we not all still nOObs at heart? I am what dRd desciribes as a "Jack of all trades, master of none" (well maybe not all, but a few anyway..). I have had my ups and downs with all sorts of things, i will ask on here if i cannot find what i want with a google, or (as has been the case of late) i go onto the IRC, where if you are sensible enough, a response will be forthcoming and helpful (maybe even from me if i know the answer).

just to further the "Muppets" Steve Wright on Radio2 hands out "Certificates of Muppetry" to the losers of his afternoon quiz. maybe when you ban the really bad muppets you could attch one to their title.............................

15. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

Regardless of my title, I try to contribute as much as I can

16. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

yeah i know this thread is old, deal with it!

I came to aD to learn about the ps2, thank god people like Tokijin and Steimy were around at the time. I previously had a lot of knowledge about the psp, but was hesitant. After I learned from the ps2 pro's, I made effort to help in the psp forums. I am one of those people who made aD addict quite quickly, but I deserved it. Although I did reply to a small number of posts with ass face remarks, I knew and still know what I am talking about when I post.

If you want to hit addict fast, inhabit the kiddie console forums, especially the retard psp forum (where I go to battle.) I know this goes against how I became an addict, but if you want to be truely respected spend your time in the pc,dvd, and p2p forums where people actually respect your know how. I am 100% disgusted at the future aD addicts coming from the console fourms, 95% of those people dont know how to wipe their butts let alone help others.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  17. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

I can only DREAM of being an Addict. I hope it comes true.

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

rank means nothing here, only unwritten reputation.

your sig has too many lines, kiddo. that will get you in trouble with the mods at some point.

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

edit it.

20. psp1515

psp1515 Regular member

how do you become a Moderator?