1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does ratio and response time mean

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by xboxdvl2, Jan 20, 2010.

1. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im looking to buy an lcd tv soon hopefully and i wanted to know in laymans terms what the ratio means???I did see a couple of cheap tv today and i you could see the pixels in 1 tv and you couldn't in the other tv.i had a look at the info on it and the one where you could see the pixels had a ratio of 1500:1 and the other one had 2500:1.what ratio should i be looking for???
    the other thing i was curious about what does response time mean and what response time should i want?????

2. lubricant

lubricant Guest

ratio is 4:3 (you're old tv size. taller, not so wide) or 16:9 widescreen (letterbox, wider than taller)

response time according to wikipedia is: "Response time is the amount of time a pixel in an LCD monitor takes to go from black to white and back to black again. It is measured in milliseconds (ms). Lower numbers mean faster transitions and therefore fewer visible image artifacts."

3. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I think he means contrast ratio. Not Aspect ratio. I'm sure you know what contrast means and what ratio means. So in short, Contrast ratio is the ratio of the luminance of "pristine" white to "pure" black that the system is capable of producing. It's most likely that the LCD has an Dynamic Contrast Ratio.

For example, if you're watching a dark movie, and there is a dark scene/image, the display would underpower the backlight lamp, meaning the pixels will become darker to achieve better black levels. If your watching a bright scene, the display will basically sort of do an opposite of that to achieve pristine whites...you get the point.

Pretty basic electrical circuitry principals. Take for example a lightbulb, if you increase the voltage/power to the lightbulb, it becomes brighter. Decrease the voltage and the light becomes darker/dimmer (closer to black, with reference to an display panel of course).

Basically the higher your contrast ratio, the better. My plasma has a dynamic contrast ratio of 3,000,000:1.

What lubricant was refering to was Aspect Ratio, which is very different to contrast ratio. If you want, you can find more information about that here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/aspect_ratio.cfm

Lubricant pretty much got the basics down for response time. Don't get response time and refresh rate confused with one another. Basically, you want a low response time and a high refresh rate.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

thanx heaps Mike.m it was the contrast ratio i wanted to know about.Im actually having second thoughts about buiying a new tv now cause i cant find one a decent one for the price i want.i will keep the response time and contrast ratio in mind when im looking at new tvs.

5. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

What's your price range? What will you use it for? Maybe I can recommend a model.

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im in australia so i dont know much us dollars are worth.im after a 40 or 42 inch lcd but i might wait about 6months and buy one then.was looking for something for a PS3 around $1000.O and to watch freeview shows.

7. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

Yes, I would probably wait a few months. Right now, Samsung is an excellent brand to get. Current Panasonic displays seem to be loosing black level quality. The V10 Plasma are the only Panasonic brand that I'm really familiar with. They're great TV's, but over $1000.

Pioneer is still one of the best, but obviously are way over $1000. But compared to LG and Sony, Samsung is the better pick, but some of the newer Sony's (like the XBR) I saw weren't too bad either.

Samsung always refreshes their line-up about every 6-8 months. They should be releasing new ones this summer. So if you can wait great. But for something right now, under $1000, I'd probably recommend this model:
    Samsung LN40B610

8. buyijing

buyijing Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
  9. bmlshane

bmlshane Member

The 81 cm LCD T.V.'s are good buying at moment, or 32 inch, next time you are in Big W have a look at their TV's, and check the mirror they have behind, you will notice the way things plug in, be careful when you buy, the bottom entry or vertical entry have problems with HDMI cable slowly loosing contact, look for horizontal entry, they don't have the problem I mentioned. Big W have a range of TV's so have a look and compare picture quality, they usually all have the same program running, you can compare picture quality, and they usual's have some specs, so you can pick up some information, beware, HD in Australia isn't Full HD, the 1920 by 1050 . Why I suggest Big W, you can browse and have a great look, something you can't usually do at Hardly Normal etc. and they are usually trying to push something off on the customer, and may not have what you really want, nor all of them don't know full specs of all products.

10. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

ive had a look in Big W about 5 times.saw an awa 42 inch for $1000 and the picture quality didnt look that good.seen a few sharp and sanyo that don't look bad but i only want to spend up to $1000 on a tv.Don't really want a 32 inch if im gonna buy a new tv its gonna be a big one.In 6 months time all the $2000 tvs will probably be around $1000 in the end of tax year sales so im gonna wait until then unless i see a tv thats really good for $1000.

11. usherMK

usherMK Member

good patience..

12. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im still looking for a new tv & i have a look around the shops every week and i can't seem to find one under $2000 with a contrast ratio over 10000:1 seen a couple but i dont like the look of them really hopefully in a few months we will get some decent tvs here in australia.