1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does " video GMC not supported" mean?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by pio4030, Mar 16, 2007.

1. pio4030

pio4030 Regular member

I got a brand new dvd player that plays divx formats as well. When I put in the disc it plays the audio and the video is frozen. Before it plays it says 'video GMC not supported'. Do i have to use some kind of program to convert files correctly that will play this? What does this all mean? Thanks.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

GMC = Global Motion Compensation. If you have a file that contains S-VOP's (GMC), then you would need to re-encode.

A few extra points:
    The DivX Home Theatre Profiles don't allow for GMC. So some players don't support it at all (cheaper to manufacture due to lower decoding overheads).
    DivX only uses 1 warp point GMC, so this is all some players support. Other encoders support 2 & 3 warp point GMC. In fact since 1 warp point is basically useless Xvid doesn't use it at all.

3. pio4030

pio4030 Regular member

So do I have to re-encode the file so that error does not show up on the dvd player? What program do I use to convert to the correct divx format so that I dont get this error?