1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD editing tool is most compatible with RB?

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by klemperal, Apr 17, 2007.

1. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

I tried using RB for the first time today and ran into all sorts of errors with HC. I did some research and found that it was probably because I always use vobblanker and pgcedit (to get rid of junk and jump me to the main menu). Anyway, since using these video editing tools seems to give RB problems what is an alternative?

2. ebega

ebega Regular member

I don't use either VobBlanker or PGCEdit much, so I can't vouch for the incompatibility of these programs with RB (though I doubt this is your problem, I only say this because I believe other users use these programs with RB), but I use DVDRemake Pro, and it works great with RB.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No DVD editing tool is completely compatible or incompatible. Errors are generally caused by the user not understanding exactly what they're doing. DVD's are made up of many parts that are linked together by chains, break the chain and you break the DVD. The best application that I've seem is DVDremake but it too can when used improperly break a chain and render an edited DVD non compliant. Sometimes ones success is "hit and miss" but once one has a success then it can be shared with others as a kind of recipe.

My interest in DVD editing really took off in RB's early days when it was unable to deal with multi camera angles and interleaved material, but jdobbs fixed that issue some time ago. Then it went to backing up the movie only without any extras or keeping the movie only with the menus intact so that I could access multiple sound tracks, and he fixed that too. However there are still quite a few uses for DVDremake if one has the imagination to use it properly.

It can be used for joining a two sided DVD to one side with a working menu that allows one to control both with one menu and one can even edit the menu by removing unused buttons or even adding their own. Then if the DVD is properly edited and remains compliant then one use RB to re encode it. If not then it's back to the drawing board. It is also great for scanning a movie frame by frame to capture stills which can then be used for making some decent movie screen savers.

Here's a link to one that I tossed together a while back.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_13_127_17565.html

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  4. mord

mord Regular member

dvdremake works great

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

klemperal
    Through editing you've made the files noncompliant. Before going to another software program, you might try FixVTS, http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/fixvts.cfm , to repair the files. This is the little helper that people have been using to repair noncompliant files caused by copyright protection which is similar to your problem. It's free, so worth a try. It's helped me with compliance problems before. It's simple to use, you just open the Video_TS folder, bring up the FixVTS and drag a VOB onto the small FixVTS window and use the Full DVD option and run the program. A quick compliance check is to open the files in DVD Shrink to see if the quick analysis will complete. If the analysis works properly, you can close Shrink and feel safe using the files in RB.

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ klemperal,

I use VoBB with every DVD and i have had no problems what so ever when using RB, however i dont use PGCedit.

7. yunla

yunla Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  8. mord

mord Regular member

had some issues with it and dumped it, just using vobblanker now :)

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

My ripper (RI4M) selects Full, Movie Only, and Movie With Menus. All I've ever needed was FixVTS after ripping and that's included in RI4M. I've used DVDFab HD Decrypter and on a couple of occasions needed to run FixVTS. VobBlanker works similar to FixVTS and some guides suggest using FixVTS in preparation for VobBlanker. I have vobBlanker, but I've not had to use it after using FixVTS. I use RB with CCE (using HC won't differ on compatibility) and haven't had any file compatibility problems with the methods I use. For the VobBlanker fans, I've nothing against the software. It's more in depth than FixVTS and will do things FixVTS won't. But for just cleaning up ripped and edited files, FixVTS is easier for most. There's no learning curve involved.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

DVDremake has many many more features than VOB Blanker including all of VOB Blankers features, and might be a little too complicated for some users. In such cases it is best to stick with the simple but tried and true. For those who want to accomplish more than VOB Blanker can and has to offer then try DVDremake.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Isn't there a set of guides on the DimadSoft website?

12. mord

mord Regular member

i found dvdremake easier to use than vobblanker, the problem was that dvdremake messed up some menus and buttons every once in a while, and according to dvdremake it was my own fault. I told them i expected more than that from a product i bought, lol then they didnt answer. Maybe i'll go back when its gone through alot of updates, but right now vobblanker does what i need

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  13. toaddub

toaddub Regular member

Whatever your issue is, it's not going to fix itself unless you report it and the problem is reproducible and it is not user error.

14. jremele

jremele Regular member

**utter nonsense removed by creaky**

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  15. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

What the hell is that?

16. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

I'm wondering the same thing.

Anyway, I'm just surprised this thread is still breathing after having started it about seven months ago. I should mention since I haven't siad anything since starting the thread that the original problems I was having had nothing to do with Vobblanker, PGCedit, or DVDremake. I just needed a fresh install of RB and everything worked fine.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Glad you got it sorted. I've reloaded RB a few times myself, but then I've needed to freshen it up because I've had it so long.