1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD-RW Drive is the Best?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Kura, May 1, 2005.

1. Kura

Kura Guest

Hi,

I'm looking into getting a DVD-RW drive for my computer and was wondering what the best DVD-RW drive there is to buy and if I should
    get a a dvd-rw dual layer drive. Please if possiable add a link to the drive you think is ther best.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

3. we_rule

we_rule Member

I have gone through 6 burners in the 7 months. I started with a Toshiba 4x that died after 2 months, an Artec that died 10 after 9 burns, 3 Emprex with too many issues to mention.

Finally I bit the bullet and spent $130 and got a Plextor PX-716A.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10385554&loc=101&sp=1

I have sucesssfully burner nearly 150 discs with 1 coaster in the last month and a half. I am using Ridata and Verbatim discs. I am very pleased with this drive.

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

6 burners in 7 months?! Sounds like your computer doesn't like burners to me.

5. we_rule

we_rule Member

Well now I am at 200 discs sucessfully burned. Start new spindle tomorrow.

6. kocher

kocher Regular member

what kind were the 6 burners that went to crap in 7 months. thats a pretty bad record for burners. still got my aopen from 6 months ago, with 260+ movies/games backed up, and thinkin of buyin another.

7. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

NEC 3520A 16X DL DVD +/- R at Newegg.com for $47.99 + $2.99 FedEx ground shipping. The highly rated burner (a notch below Plextor) is a steal at this price. I believe it allows DVD+R bitsetting, whereas the Pioneer above does not. Three colors available. Can get bare drive only (least expensive) or get the retail boxed version with lite burning software.
    I bought one of these for my daughter. I did not pay extra for faster processing or for speedier delivery, and still got the delivery in two days!

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've got 2 of these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101632

My original has about 700+ burns while my spare has 100+ burns. Only 1 coaster this year after about 500+ burns between both of them.Many of these were on the fly.I still have original b7-c9 and b7-L9 firmware.Maxell/taiyo yuden/verbatim datalife plus/and sony +/- 1x-8x all perform flawless.Even those crappy cmags look pretty good,but I burn them at 2.4x..

It does prefer the plus format,booktyped to dvd rom.Actually it will burn just about anything,but some of my standalones will not play it's dash format backups. The backups-booktyped to dvd-rom are 95% compatatible on at least 30+ stand alones/ps2's/and other pc drives. The dash format does not fair as well from these benq's,about 75% compatability.I have a huge family and a bunch of frieds.

Todays price of $53.99 including fed ex is very good.It's got the dual layer,but I haven't tried it yet.The majority of 8x high quality media will burn 12x and 16x on these burners so you have to watch the burn speed setting.

9. Kura

Kura Guest

Thank you all for your advice on what DVD-R Burner to buy. I have bought the Plextor PX-716A.

10. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Good choice if you want to spend that much money but if you ever decide to get another look at the L.G. 4163B. It supports DVD-Ram also. and is one of the fastest drives out there.

11. media007

media007 Guest

This store offers all dvd burners with free nero burning software suite and free shipping and they have many different combo options with blank discs and comes with free shipping. The suite according to their web site contains Nero Express 6, NeroVision Express 2 SE, InCD4, EasyWrite Reader, and Nero Media Player
    [​IMG]
    http://www.blank-cd-cdr.com/dvdburner1.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2005
  12. media007

media007 Guest

This store offers all dvd burners with free nero burning software suite and free shipping and they have many different combo options with blank discs and comes with free shipping. The suite according to their web site contains Nero Express 6, NeroVision Express 2 SE, InCD4, EasyWrite Reader, and Nero Media Player
    [​IMG]
    http://www.blank-cd-cdr.com/dvdburner1.html

13. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

@ media 007
    The software above is not full version and does not include Nero Recode. You will be disappointed in short order, and are better off getting full version Nero on your own. Your best bet is to order just the drive. No software, no manual, no fancy box. If you are doing a swap out, you don't even need the cable. NEC, Pioneer, Plextor, references above are all excellent choices.
    Newegg.com got me the burner in two days, had low shipping costs, offered the burner in three diferent colors, with or without the fancy box containing the lite software.

14. kocher

kocher Regular member

i got my aopen with a full version of nero, for i think 75 us dollars a year ago, maybe. is AOPEN a good brand, or what? i never have problems with it, works great, but i always hear abotu NEC, lite on and plextor. where does aopen rank among these

15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2005
  16. BuckeyeD

BuckeyeD Member

Let me add my 2 cents - the NEC 3520A is a phenominal drive - burns 16x on the Sony 8x -R blanks (my favorite blank). At $49, I bought a spare. Nothing even close to a coaster after 150+ burns!

17. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Ditto to what BuckeyeD said... Considering the price, the NEC3520 is a best buy in my book...

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  18. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Ditto Ditto for NEC 3520. Price is too good, but actually true! Just as fast as new model on DVD-/+R, and +/- DL after easy firmware upgrade. Just a hair slower on RW (which I have never even used). Certainly nothing to justify passing up this bargin.

19. Shoey

Shoey Guest

The NEC 3520A is a great dvd burner, however, the Plextor and BenQ can deliver better write quality than the NEC. Do any scans? (PIE/PIF)? If so do some and then PM me and we can swap :)

20. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

I'll concede Plextor has the better write quality. But considering the NEC costs $50 vs a Plextor at $125, in my opinion the NEC 3520 is still a best buy. You can keep the better write quality and I'll keep the $75 difference.